Cannot upgrade bootloader cannot install rover 4.0

anyone else having this issue…

MP 3.7.2 AR3.5.1 I have 3 units running 3.5.1 none of them are able to successfully update to rover 4.0 they seem to be failing at the detecting stage where the upgrade scans the comports. they connect fine via usb and mav.

WTH is going on?

there is also now a new pick hardware screen its chosen fmu2 as its option is this there because of the new FC additions?

Good day, what kind of controller you need to update?

Std Chinese pix clone 2.4.8 so card is fine formatted as fat32 as I say it works fine just won’t update

I have a similar problem with a RTFHawk. MP shows the disconnect/connect diaogue and then fails to detect the board.
Qgroundcontrol works, but not every time. I sometimes have to connect/reconnect the RTFhawk several times before it stays in bootloader mode and Qgroundcontrol flashes it.
My Pixhawk 2.4.8 clones do not have this problem.

I had to use QGC also. On Mission Planner it would stop at scanning ports

I’ll install QGC and have a go at that method. thank you for the suggestion.

ok QGC firmware updates work fine but I can still not upgrade to ar4.0 ot can I reset to anything else due to it failing on a com port scan … starting to annoy me now

im stuck with two units (not even going to try the one thats running happily) that i cannot reflash to ANY version of rover :confused:

Edit: OK now I’ve managed to load rover via qgc but the main led is solid red this happened before with a pervious itteration… think I may well go back to 351

can you attach s small video of the procedure you are doing or pic about the error

There’s no real need to pict or via. It just will not detect the board to update the firmware.

I’ve managed now to flash on rover 4 with qgc

@meee1, This sounds like the issue that I have also seen when trying to upgrade Pixhawk1 boards. Perhaps MP has a problem with older bootloaders.

i have made some changes recently that are only in MP beta.

i need to see some logs from those failing. to better see whats going on

@bigfinger,

After a discussion with @meee1 on this, could you try to upload the firmware with the latest Beta Mission Planner? From MP’s Help screen click on the green “Check for BETA Updates” button. It will take a few minutes and pop-up a confirmation box or two but hopefully after that it will upgrade and it should be able to upload firmware to the Pixhawk1 boards.

As a side note, when I was struggling with this I used MP’s “All Options” link to force the installation of the Pixhawk1-1M firmware (instead of fmuv2) onto the board and then did the bootloader update. I found MP was much more reliable at uploading firmwares once the autopilot was using the new bootloader.

2 Likes

would you like my bootlog? i just fired it up now after managing to get AR4.0 on with QGC

im about to try randy’s suggestion of the beta MP

here is the current bootlog below if i get an error after trying the beta MP ill post that log too if it is any different.

PX4IO CRC OK after updating
ERROR [init] No file matches SYS_AUTOSTART value found in : /etc/init.d/airframes
BL update…
BL update done

ok…

beta MP downloaded
all options.

• version type DEV
  • Platform pixhawk 1-1m
  • version 4.1
  • firmware ardurover

installed ok. went on to bootload upgrade ok this time and then reflashed with ardurover 4.0

we seem to be back in business!

2 Likes

thanks for testing the beta MP. i will push it to stable very soon now that its confirmed working

3 Likes

its a pleasure.

at the moment im happy that ive managed to sort the issue. i can now concentrate of getting these two into boats and delving back into tuning them. on auto missions.

although its still a complete mystery as to what PID’s actually are and what they do in relation to each orther.

1 Like

@bigfinger,

For boat tuning it’s not that hard once you know what to do. We’ve got two pages:

and I would recommend doing them in this order.

2 Likes

thanks Randy ive already done these and dialed it in to my contentment the only issue i have now it the speed of its tank turns’

They are aggressive, normally that would not bother me but this is for a fishing boat so the cavitation is noisy and disruptive and scares the fish… Im aware i need to fiddle with the following values.

ATC_STR_RAT_MAX

ATC_STR_ACC_MAX

ATC_STR_ANG_P

Now while the tuning pivot turns page details these there is no helpful description as to the effect of each parameter.

need to make the turns slower with less prop disruption. should i just halve the lot of them do you think?

I was also unsuccessful trying to upgrade Rover FW on an (older) Cube Black, using 1.3.72 build 1.3.7522.28320
Had to revert to Qgroundcontrol to upgrade FW, now Mission Planner is running fine:
2020-08-08 22:32:57 : CubeBlack 0037003D 34355108 38393730
2020-08-08 22:32:56 : ChibiOS: 0997003f
2020-08-08 22:32:56 : ArduRover V4.0.0 (0e52bafa)