Can traditional helicopter throttle be on ch7?

Craig3DR
My previous question was obviously not understood.
I am flying a traditional helicopter with one (1) motor. It gets configured in airplane mode (not multi-copter mode). It has 1 motor and that motor is controlled via CH8. CH1 through CH4 are for roll, pitch, yaw and collective. In a traditional helicopter, the motor is toggled ON or OFF. Pixhawk does that toggle using CH8.
I know 8 channels are not supported.
I’m asking if I can reconfigure Pixhawk to use CH7 to control the single motor I have on a traditional helicopter. All the config parms I can see leave CH8 for motor control only and CH7 can be configured to do lots of other things.

I hope I’m not coming across as offensive. I looked through the past posts and do not see where this question was asked or answered.

Bob Hillier

Hi Bob,

Take a look to Throttle channel parameter:
copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/arduco … P_THROTTLE

Hi Bob

I hope I’m not coming across as offensive. I looked through the past posts and do not see where this question was asked or answered.

No offense

I’m asking if I can reconfigure Pixhawk to use CH7 to control the single motor I have on a traditional helicopter.
Yes, you can map the throttle
copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/arduco … P_THROTTLE

BUT

In your previous post you said

I have a DX9 using a Spektrum satellite receiver.

Like I have said to you before, the DX9 data format is not currently implemented in Pixhawk, even if you get it to sort of work on the first 7 channels

I’d be pretty nervous about flying my zillion dollar beauty on a sketchy radio setup, but I guess that is your call for your machine.

Bob, sorry, there is no easy way to remap the ESC control to the Ch8 output. It is hard-coded.

I could make this configurable, but it’s a fair amount of work for limited usefulness. The only reason I can see this would be necessarily is to accommodate Spektrum radios which IMO are unreasonably restrictive in their setups. They almost seem to be building a walled garden.

It’s also a safety issue. Motor control on a helicopter should be tightly controlled. I don’t want any confusion about this aspect of the setup.

There are ways you could hack your way around this. Ways to pass-through a RC signal on Ch7. But I won’t go into detail because it’s really risky.

Thanks for the update. I understand your comment. :frowning:
My next option is to get a pwm encoder… or a not-so-restrictive radio.
Bob

Over on px4users google group, Lorenz Meier just posted his solution using updated QGroundControl to bind more than 8 channels to PixHawk. Wow! I tried it and it works. I now have 9channels recognized with my Spektrum DX9.
The developers and contributors for this technology are fantastic. Thanks to all of you! :slight_smile: