Can a joystick be used with MP sim?

Two issues.

1. can a joystick be used to fly with MP sim? Has anyone done this?

2. I have a Logitec F310, the one used in the documentation, but it does not seem to connect properly. Anybody have good results with this joystick?

1 Like

They can and many do so. I have a Logitech model similar to yours and it works fine. Well as good as Joysticks work, the control generally sucks. Does Windows recognize it and is it shown in Mission planners Joystick menu screen?

Or, did you read the Wiki for Joystick/Gamepad?

1 Like

Hi Dave. Yes, windows does recognize it and the controls seem to work properly when doing windows calibration.

I did read the wiki.

In the wiki, when the joystick is selected, along the left side are listed roll, pitch, yaw, et. When I select the joystick all I see is X, Y, Z Rc, and such. When I move the levers, numbers change in the jhoystick window. The buttons are detected.

Somewhere I think I read the mapping between the X,Y,Z, etc and roll, yaw, pitch but I do not recall where I saw this.

I select enable but I do not see any effect in MP sim.

What I would like to do is to launch manually, move a short distance, and then select AUTO and go from there.

Default is AETR (Roll,Pitch,Throttle,Yaw). So map the sticks you want for these functions obviously the same as your transmitter.
RC1>Press Auto Detect>Hit OK>Move the Roll stick And so on…

I am having some success. I do not have the mapping as yet but getting there. I do see the effect in MP when I move the levers now.

It should work fine for initating an Auto Mission. But you don’t need a control input to run one. What Transmitter do you have? Some you can use as a controller by plugging in via USB. May radio works that way. Much better than a Joystick.

This is a weird solution - but I often connect to QGC (while MP is running sim) via another TCP port and then use the virtual joysticks option in QGC to simulate RC controls. Its nice to have in a pinch when I don’t have a physical controller nearby.

Just to close this issue… I did succeed in getting my F310 to work properly. I had to change some config parameter to get the controls set up properly.

Now, after loading a mission, I can start in Stabilize mode, take off, and then switch to Auto while in flight, let the mission start, and then RTL. It actually works pretty god.

1 Like