Burnt ESCs and Quad to sell

Back in 2020 I bought a drone from a UK-based guy named Peter King who was running an internet drone shop. Because of Covid the drone staid in its box until almost two years later. The first time I tested it, an ESC burnt almost immediately after powering the drone. Peter King replaced the damaged ESC and sent the drone back to me.

It took a while before I tested it again for a few minutes. It looked fine so I took it with me to a trip to Greenland but I broke my arm on the second day there and didn’t have the chance to use the drone. Now, after months of recovery, I finally tested the drone again and, guess what, another ESC fried on start up.

I read about ESCs burning in strange conditions but it doesn’t look like there is any simple explanation and I have been struggling to find a shop that could carry out the repair for me. But, even more crucially, if there is some incompatibility between these Hobbywing ESCs and other components of the drone, then one would have to switch to another brand. The ESCs are rated for 6S and should normally be ok.

Now, I have no experience with those custom-made drones and without any customer service to rely on I am tempted to sell the drone to someone who has the skills and knowledge to make it work.

If anybody is interested I’ll post more pictures and more detailed specs when I am home but the drone sports a Pixhawk (2 I think), an Herelink for RC and video transmission, the frame is a Daya that folds to a very, very compact size, it has T-motors with folding props and a custom-made go-pro style attachment to hang whatever payload you want to attach. The drone was meant to be used in the cold and so I had ordered two 6S lithium ion batteries, that can be used either separately or in parallel, instead of the more standard LiPo.

1 Like