Board temp runaways - Cube Black and Here+

Arming and disarming are causing the Baro Temps to jump and runaway on the ground (haven’t flown yet).

Plane 3.9 beta 1 chibios build
Cube and Here+
Outside temp here is about 80F.
IMU Target Temp: 45C.

The Here+ is about as hot as the top of the cube; not sure why.

Log here:

@tridge, @MagicRuB, @WickedShell any ideas?

@Naterater A log that logs while disarmed would be helpful here. My first guess is that your actually just seeing it warm up. At the start of the log the temperatures all warm up a bit then decrease, this trend is also done on the airspeed (although it’s a smaller magnitude), After that the temperature warms up and continues to do so, and starts to plateau. Without knowing the environment you had it in it’s hard to say much more. (I can produce this kind of result by moving the vehicle in/out of the sun, or adding/removing hatches).

Your IMU temperature followed the same trend. I’d turn logging while disarmed on, let it run longer, and watch on a GCS where the IMU temperature rises to while it’s running. If you see it getting to 75C definetly kill the test then, and that will be an issue to look into. I’m guessing what you will see though is that it stabilizes somewhere around 60-65C.

Why is it over the BRD_IMU_TARGTEMP though?

I’ll turn disarmed logging on. I was inside at about 80F. Very low airflow. In a foam airframe.

The IMU heater turns off at the Target temp. But all the other electronics in there still generate hest and it will continue to warm up to about 60C over time.

I’ll make the assumption that the Here+ is hot for that reason as well.

What Matt and Michael said is spot on…

Heater is controlled by the IO chip, it can heat, but not cool…

There is also self heating from the processor and other components running in the cube. Like any piece of electronics, airflow is important to take heat away.