BLHeli passthrough Failed

Hi Everyone,

It has been few days I have tried everything possible to make a breakthrough work for BLHeliSuite for EMAX 30A ESC.

Here is the parameter file:
param list.param (16.4 KB)

Can anybody please help me to make the breakthrough work? I have gone through the wiki and understood the process. It does not seem tricky, the only problem; there is not much info about the ESC but I think it will work.

Looking forward to hearing back from you. Thanks in Advance.

I would say it will never work with that ESC.
It doesnt actually use BLHELI, only says “based on BLEHLI” and it is anyones guess if that is even true.
And it says it will do oneshot.
There’s almost no use using oneshot compared to ordinary PWM, since oneshot is just an extension of PWM.

Better to get real BLHELI32 ESC, 4in1’s are great since wiring is reduce and the installation can be very neat and tidy.

1 Like

Hey @xfacta

Thank you so much for your reply. That’s actually true, these ESCs are not much of use.

I have one more type of ESC: EMAX Nano 12A Oneshot125, will this work? I just need to test few things by configuring the ESCs through BlHeli Suite.
Actually I want to use them for bi-directional rotation and they are actually working good, but when I am changing the throttle quickly from one direction to another then they are suddenly stopping. I want to make the transition smooth and reduce the response rate of the ESC. I actually want to make them rotate slow for my use case.
Ardupilot setting I have tried to create the breakthrough:

• Connected Motors to AUX 1 - 4 (Servo9- Servo12), In pixhawk 6C it is connected in FMU

• SERVO_BLH_AUTO to 1

• SERVO_BLH_MASK to Channel 9 - Channel 12

• BRD_SAFETY_DEFLT = 0

• MOT_PWM = 6 or 2 (For Ds600 and Os150)

Do I have to make any other changes? Looking forward to hearing back from you.
Thanks again for the help.

Hey @xfacta

I hope you are doing good. I guess there is no way to configure the EMAX ESCs, the only way is to configure using transmitter.

I will buy the real BLHeli Dshot ESCs. I want to rotate the motor really slow and smooth as per my use case, can you please recommend any ESCs for that?

Really looking forward to hearing back from you. Thanks!

I’ve used Holybro, others I know of are Aikon and T-Motor. Any that are BLHELI32.
You can set the MOT_SPIN_ARM quite low and get an unnaturally slow spin with some motors, looks a bit alien.

1 Like

Hey @xfacta

I have got the real Dshot ESCs and now pass through is working, I can configure the ESCs. Thanks for the info.

I want to ask you something, I want the motor to rotate really slow and smooth. How can I do that? I configured the ESC to the lowest possible starting power, low motor timing and very low PWM value it is little slow but does not take the load. I am using the 260kv motor. Is there any way you know to make the motor rotate really slow?
Is there any firmware which I can flash in the ESC or something like that? Other option which I can think of using a gear system to reduce the speed.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks

In BLHELI settings (passthrough) you can set all defaults except for:

• Low RPM Power Protect = OFF
  • Low Voltage Protection = OFF (rely on the flight controller battery settings)
  • Temperature Protection = 90
  • Motor Timing = Auto

and any motors you want to reverse, or you can even do the reversal in Ardupilot with: SERVO_BLH_RVMASK,524 (that’s one of my values, you’d have to select the motors to reverse in the pop-up selector yourself)

Then in MissionPlanner motor test, check for the slowest reliable start up percentage, for example 6%
Then set MOT_SPIN_ARM to 0.06
And set MOT_SPIN_MIN to at least 0.09 or probably up to 0.12

You should already have something like:

MOT_PWM_TYPE,6
SERVO_BLH_AUTO,1
SERVO_DSHOT_ESC,1

If you find yourself setting more parameters than that → question why, because using DSHOT and BLHELI is easier than many expect. Even SERVO_BLH_MASK is not needed unless you are using DSHOT/BLHELI for something other that flight motors.

1 Like

Hey @xfacta (Shawn)

Thank you so much again for the detailed and very informative comments. I really appreciate your way to explain the things in more detail.

I will try all these settings and post my experience here.

Hey @xfacta (Shawn)

I have configured it and it is working good.
Just one thing I want to ask you, it might be silly and very naive. Is it also possible to achieve similar to gimbal stabilization by controlling the gimbal motor using ESC? Just thinking whether can I make it work for the roll stabilization? What I am thinking is connecting the gimbal motor to ESC and controlling the ESC by Pi. The only challenge I see is making it rotate very slow and with High Torque, other than that we can do in code.

Really want to know your thought on this. I can give it a try but just want to know advice of someone more experienced like you.

Looking forward to your response.
Thanks