Big quad frame 3D print

Hello,

I am currently looking for a 3D model of a frame suitable for a big copter, ideally with a diagonal between 500 - 700mm, modular or monolithic frame, its okay

Despite searching a lot, finding the perfect big frame 3D print has been a challenge.
Most frames out there are designed for FPV … and it’s tough to find large ones with good designs…

However, I’ve found a few potentially interesting options. On one hand, a modular frame made of carbon tube :

Printable Modular Multicopter Tubeframe by CG-Manufaktur - Thingiverse
Unfortunately, the publisher does not provide source files, which makes customization difficult, especially adapting for 16mm tubes and adjusting the length of the parts.

I also found an interesting monolithic frame :
https://pinshape.com/items/9239-3d-printed-ultibot-discovery-pro-endurance
But, the lack of feedback from other users makes the choice a bit risky…

Can anyone help or suggest something? Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks for your help!

I suspect a large 3D Print frame will be too heavy to be effective, @Quadzilla Brandon would definitely have more insights.

printing is normally very light and a good way to test construction and space requirements.

the down side is crashing on hard pack like asphalt can break things. In my case printing a extra body is fast to swap out and no need to reprogram.

I would keep to 500 mm unless you use Carbon fiber tubes.

1 Like

Thank for reply @xfacta @Quadzilla

Look very nice build @Quadzilla , how did you attach the carbon tubes arms to the frame ?

Indeed, my goal is to use carbon fiber tubes and mount low kv motor like Antigravity MN4006 KV380 with 13-14 inch propellers.

Thank again

Super glue I use a good quality called “supper t”

I got a fully 3D printed (and sort of foldable) design similar size to Phantom (and using the same 2312 motors / props). Heaviest and biggest part is the battery enclosure, to take full size 5000-6000 mA 4S.

It flies ok, but I’ve evolved the design into a hex, and it’s my main fun flyer (6 motors = more power = faster response + you’re able to land intact if one motor fails, instead of tumbling out of the sky :wink: )

What do you want to use it for ?

1 Like

Thank all !

Great build @ip_droning

The goal is to build a drone for aerial photography, with high Endurance and long range :slight_smile:

With follow hardware :

FC Matek H743
T-motor M4006 380KV
T-motor Carbon props 13"
Esc Tekko32 65A all metal
Raspberry Zero 2 (for 4G telemetry)
3D print Gimbal for Rpi Cam
Lipo Or Li-On 10000mah 6S

(as many people here would suggest) use carbon fibre arms. with 3D printing, the longer the arm, the less rigid it’ll be, causing more vibration and a nightmare to tune the copter. Also the arm attachment points become a weak spot with long arms.

Good luck, and keep us updated :slight_smile:

Thank you @ip_droning :slightly_smiling_face:

Maybe I will create a custom frame using Fusion 360
I currently have a PC-CF (Polycarbonate Carbon Fiber) Filament from Prusament

I am wondering which adhesive would be best for bonding the carbon fiber tube arms with this material
Epoxy (loctite ?), Cyanoacrylate (like 3M PR100), or Solvent (like scigrip 16)

I used blender, but that’s because I know the program.

Printed mine from PETG (or sometimes PLA when I run out of PETG to print a replacement arm after crash :wink: ). PETG you can glue using Cyanoacrylate (Loctite 401 aka “superglue” - will leave white residue, but will hold strongly), I haven’t played with carbon filaments.

Also my designs are screwed together by 6g and 8g wood screws. Arms held by long M5 screws and nyloc nuts.

@tumix, this is a very interesting idea. From what I hear, that PC-CF Prusament is pretty withstanding… I got some coming now to experiment with.

Did you end up designing and using the PC-CF for your frame? If so, how’d it go?