Bicopter ardupilot firmware

Can we use the firmware of arducopter to build bicopter?Because building a bicopter with arduplane 4.0 doesn’t use optical flow, ultrasound or laser to locate it

Hey bro i am using APM 2.8 and i want to build a VTOL dual rotor Quadplane . But APM does not support any VTOL Feature, can you help me how can I build a VTOL with APM or write my own programme to support VTOL on my APM FC . please suggest me something.

I suggest you get some compatible hardware, there are lots to pick from at a range of prices.

https://ardupilot.org/plane/docs/common-autopilots.html

THX for the suggestion bro but buying a new FC will be to costly for my project we have a fixed budget as I am a student and no source of income.In India RC parts are too expensive.

Can I write a my own program for APM 2.8 which support VTOL function will it work ? IF yes can you give me the method to write program for FCs like ( which language to use, compiler or any specific way to write a program for my APM.

你好,我也在制作两轴飞行器,可以交流交流吗?我的yaw轴抖动比较厉害,调整pid也一直调整不好

Hi, Peter, I’m building a bicopter.My flight control is cuav pixhack V5.I have set Q_TILT_MASK to 3.But I have observed that the pwm of the servo will always be greater than 1500.That is, the servo only rotates in one direction.When I set Q_TILT_MASK to 2, the servo work seems to be normal.
If you can, I hope you can help me! Here is my parameter file.
20210516-cuav.param (21.3 KB)

1 Like

Params look OK, might be worth testing on AP 4.1.dev, I don’t recall if its in 4.0 or not.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I am using Arduplane V4.0.9. I will use it for testing and record logs at the same time.
I used copter V4.0.7 yesterday, but the servo will jitter a lot, so I failed yesterday.

Hi, I’m building y own bicopter, but I have some stability issues, the plane pitches up or down and it is not counteracted by anything.
I’ve tried to edit some software but it’s beyond my actual knowledge.
For now, I’ve built it and I’m tuning and testing the tilt mechanism

My idea was to try to compensate the pitch of the frame with a sinched actuation of the ailerons, to crate a torque even at zero speed via prop wash.
Is programmable? What type of actuation I need to select, actually I’m using elevon left and eleven right for the servos of the ailerons.

Thanks, anyone how has some suggestions.

For testing you could just set them to elevator outputs. Will only work in the hover case but if it means you get a better tune we can look at ways of doing it properly.

1 Like

I’ve tried to switch them to elevator, but they are standing inactive when armed in Qhover, I’ve tried to check my params, but I haven’t found anything out of ordinary.
In FBWA they work flawlessly.
bicopter.param (22.0 KB)

1 Like

A little update, after re-flashing the firmware and new setup of my cube orange it’s working.
I’ve increased the p gain of the elevons to make them more reliable, in qloiter mode is reasonably stable, the frame is getting maneuvered by the torque of the wings to make it leveled, but the force generated by the wings kind of screws the autopilot positional accuracy, need to take account of the lift generated when doing the pitch correction.
Everything considered I need bigger props, but the whole platform is promising.
For fine pitch control I also considered using a slider to dynamically change the CG using the tail rotor signal from the traditional tricopter setup, but the added complexity and wheight is kind of bad.

I’ve been testing for a couple of days, but after some crashes, it seems that in QLoiter it doesn’t even try to stay in position.
The elevons control works only after a lot of rolling despite the normal plane P gain set to 5.
Despite q-tilt-yaw angle set to 25 deg, the motors try to compensate all the way to level flight (servo min value).
I’ll try to program it like a classic tailsitter, so the control surfaces can help in roll and yaw ways.
If you can tell me how I can modify the mixer for the bicopter, I can build my own firmware.
Thanks for attention

What parameter are you using?

I don’t think this is a mixer issue, you will have to increase the Q_A_RAT_* params if there is not enough response.

Its possible that this is just broken.

Your best bet for firmware changes is probably to look at the original PR where this was added.

A small update, after some tries I’ve figured out that the motor alignment and zero of the tilting servos must be perfect, in Qhover mode the airplane performed really well, after a minute of hovering I’ve tried to control it, crash apart, it was stable also in the fuselage pitch axis.
Now I’ll build new wings with symmetrical airfoil and larger control surfaces for increased authority in hovering.
@iampete I’ve looked at the firmware but without an explanation of the workflow of the program adding a custom servo script is beyond my skill. If you want I can help I’ll be very happy to collaborate and keep upgrading my prototype.
Thank you, have a nice day

Will it work on Pixhawk Orange Cube?

Any flight controller AP 4.1 or newer.

1 Like

It’s not uploading on FC Pixhawk CUBE orange.
Error: Firmware not Suitable for this Board fw:9 - board:140

Hello Peter, I am buiding a bicopter using pixhawk 2.4.8. Will the firmware work if i select the frame as quadcopter? Also, will this controller support for bicopter?
Please do reply…Thank you.

@iampete I am working with a cube orange and am trying to make a bicopter fly, I have gotten the motors to active using the servo function throttle right and throttle left, but I cannot find the tiltmotor left or tiltmotor right in the list of servo functions. I am using arduplane 4.5.0dev with Q_FRAME_CLASS = 10, and Q_TILT_TYPE = 3 just as the documentation on ardu plane setup says but I cannot get my two tilt rotor servos to move. Please let me know if you have any questions on any other parameters or anything else.

Thank you for your time and your help.