Best way to connect ESCs: Durandal or PM07

Hello there,

I have a hexacopter with Durandal as flight controller and Holybro PM07 as PDB. Currently, I have my ESCs control cables connected directly to the Durandal and I power them via the Power Distribution included in the Drone (Tarot X6). I have seen that I can also connect the ESCs directly to the PM07.

Is there any improvement by doing so? Is there any problem with having them directly connected to the flight controller?

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

If I read the specs correctly, the Copter’s own circuit board simply provides a fairly clean method of wiring by creating convenient busses and connections. I assume you are powering that board via the PM07. If that’s the case, there’s no significant difference between the two options unless the copter’s own board cannot carry the current required.

If, for some reason, you have a separate power source for the copter’s distribution board, then it’s probably preferable to connect to the PM07 directly, since it appears to include current monitoring of its output pads.

1 Like

I think the main reason why you might want to run the ESC signal wires to the PM07 is just to keep the wiring tidy since that’s where the ESC power wires are going. If you have true Opto-isolated ESCs then you’ll need signal ground and signal power going to the ESC along with the signal and the battery power inputs.

https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/connect-escs-and-motors.html#using-a-power-distribution-board

1 Like

I am powering the copter’s distribution board with the PM07.
As there is no problem, I will continue with my current connections.

Thank you both for your replies.

I have a PM07 & AMPX 80a esc with 3 signal wires. 1 throttle, 1 error, 1 speed. Do I solder all 3 to my pm07 signal to the corresponding motor?

Thanks!