Best Pixhawk variant for 1200mm sized gasser heli

I’ve dropped the heli’s own weight before. Amazing it rises less than a meter. Heck, you can see the effect any time you take off or land with a long line load, whenever the load leaves the ground.

Some closed source autopilots would need a parameter change to remove payload on the ground!

A look in to what I’ve been up to lately with this project:ISO%20View

I never liked the layout of the Airstar International frames. I’m hoping with my design I’ll have a little more freedom with mounting accessories and payloads while keeping CG balanced. Plan is to cut 1/8" or even 3/16" G-10 material for the frame. I want this to be super tough knowing how big it is.

Hey @ChrisOlson🙋🏼‍♂️
How about the Pixhawk 4 mini? I’m confused about IMU dampening as I read my pixhawk cube have just one dampened IMU. Pixhack V3 is equipped with 3 dampened IMU. Did you have some information about Pixhawk 4 Mini? I’m looking for an Gasser FC so your Help would be great!

Thank you!

I looked at this one briefly in the past and never read anything about it having internally damped IMUs. Otherwise it looks very similar to the CUAV V3.

After what I’ve been through in this thread, I’m sticking with the CUAV V3 even on future helicopters. Or at least until someone proves there is a better one for me. There is now the V3X which is supposedly better. I think Chris Olson has a couple of these that work very well for him.

Thank you @Chris_Khosravi!:sunglasses:
I think I let the Pixhawk Cube rest for other wing or Multicopter Projects.
It make sense to trust other users experience with pixhack v3. I’ve checked some Stores here in EU but seems like only chance is to order one in Chinese Stores:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Matthias,
I replaced a new Pixhawk cube with a new pixhackv3x.
That pixhack v3 is better suited with Helis than other FC. No problems for me to get that with Aliexpress store.
Look up what others write about their experiencing.

ImplicitJakob Schmidt

davidT

Mar 6

Usually from CUAV’s Aliexpress store.

aliexpress.com

US $188.0 12% OFF|CUAV HOT FREE SHIPPING Pixhack V3 Autopilot Flight Controller…

Smarter Shopping, Better Living! Aliexpress.com

And yes, my Soxos has no damping mechanism. The V3 is also nice, compact and extremely well made.
I believe Chris swears by it as well.

more here: Flybar 450 Heli in loiter mode

So Guys I have to thank you for your experience :v:
Pixhack v3 is on it’s way :grinning:

Welcome to the club! You will love how well it works for helicopters.

1 Like

@Chris_Khosravi, did you have some another advices for me in sight of external dampening/ mounting the pixhack unit like moon gel or “milton mod” stuff? I’m familar with vibrations on my zenoah gasser:woozy_face:

If you have access to a 3D printer I can give some guidance. I ended up designing and 3D printing my own dampening system. Took several iterations but I got it pretty good now. All 3 accelerometer axis under 10 m/s/s.

1 Like

on flight controllers with dampening, velcro works great.

I don’t know that I’d recommend velcro, but I have never used it for a flight controller. Maybe the dual lock fastener. That seems a little more rigid. I just mounted my CUAV V5 using thin double sided rubber tape.

@Chris_Khosravi 3D Printer is in my cave:grinning:
I’m thankful for all your minds and advices :relieved:

I just want to say it twice…
It’s great to be part of this working community :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Thank you all!

Hello Community,

are you guys notice any difference by mounting the FC in front near the gas engine or over the tail boom joiner? I’m not sure where to install my pixhack V3x unit…

any advices are welcome :woozy_face:

I have only ever mounted mine in the front. I’m about 300mm in front of the main shaft and I haven’t seen any issues yet. My new scratch-built design will get the autopilot closer to the main shaft, probably about 150mm away, except this time behind it.

I have it on the rear deck on my Synergy 766 Gas.

I have it mounted 15 cm behind the main shaft and no issues.

Thank you all! I’ve asked because I noticed the other day more or less vibrations with same setup and values just by placing the FC on different positions. Machine was the Century Gasser Typ.

I’ve seen those, but I don’t know much about them. We went with the V3x and they are superb for helicopters. So that’s what we’ve stuck with.

Yeah, the control is not the problem. I’ll use Acro before I’ll use Loiter. And I’ll use auto if the flight track can’t be determined visually. The FAA is the problem, and whether or not you are dropping in your restricted area drop zone.

The FAA takes a very dim view of dropping anything heavier than a piece of paper at cruise speed unless you have a very large restricted area for the drop zone. The regulations also include towing banners that are dropped before landing with either fixed or rotor wing aircraft. Doesn’t make any difference if it’s manned or unmanned.

All it takes is one phone call to the FSDO, “hey, there’s somebody dropping stuff from helicopters” and a couple inspectors will be there as fast as they can fire up their Citation 500 and come to check it out. When they show up you’d better have all your ducks in a row.

Hobbiests can drop stuff from RC aircraft at an established RC airfield, or at a place where “reasonable precautions” are taken to prevent injury or property damage. But not commercial. You have to hold a Part 135 with waivers to some paragraphs, a Part 137 (for ag) and a waiver to Part 107 via Section 44807 for unmanned to carry anything for hire, much less drop it from the air.

I’ve been Chief Pilot on our Part 135 for 31 years, and even holding the Air Carrier Certificate it’s still a lengthy review process to get any waivers for unmanned, and the only one I hold is for dispensing liquids from the air for ag. And that also requires a Part 137. The FAA does not care if it’s manned or unmanned, the regulations are the same. Part 107 is for aerial photographers.

Maybe you’re not in the U.S. but if you are things are not as simple with unmanned as they are with manned aircraft, and they are not simple with manned aircraft.