Bendyruler issues with 4.5 - and Circle - Dijkstra fine

I’m having some trouble with both Circle and Bendy Ruler.

I have a rover I built some time ago, and eventually was pretty happy with a Pixhawk 2.4.8 and Rover 4.2.3. I tried to upgrade to 4.4 a few times, but there was always something off/wrong/bothersome about it so I held off.

I finally upgraded to an H7 FC. I moved my previously working tune parameters over, and have a working rover again.

I went to run a mission, and found that the rover would chase the first way point and never get to it, nor even near it. It would run back and forth a few times, then stop.

I thought I’d try the new LUA auto-tune, so the first time ever I tried to run a CIRCLE.

In CIRCLE, the rover drives forward a certain distance, then stops and that’s the end of it.

No attempt to turn left or right or actually execute the circle.

I went back to my Missions, and found that if I switch to Dijkstra, the rover makes a pretty crisp path to the first waypoint, and continues on from there, much like I previously experienced.

If I turn back to Bendyruler, it doesn’t work.

If I switch to Dijkstra+BendyRuler, I’m back to never getting to WP 1.

Back to Dijkstra, and I ran a 90 WP mission three times in a row, doing fine.

Suggestions on which step(s) I missed? Is there a relationship between CIRCLE failing and BendyRuler?

BendyRuler Failure

Circle Failure

I also need to get better at “reading” the BIN logs for the root causes.

These sound like fundamental tuning issues. How does it drive in acro mode? If the answer is “I don’t know,” then you skipped a number of steps.

Use Rover 4.5.4.

That was my first assumption - that I needed to retune after upgrading - so I know it seemed to handle just fine in acro, and works fine in auto when I don’t choose Bendyruler.

I did purposefully lower the turn rate for skid steer turns from the measured almost-360deg rotation to 180 - the vehicle made the 360 turns just fine, but when pulling a trailer it tended to bend the tongue when it would pivot so fast.

I intended to try out the auto tune script to see how close or far I was from what it would recommend, but that’s when I found it won’t turn into the circle.

I’ll see what I can do about more refined tuning.

It seems odd that it does fine on the mission as long as I don’t enable Bendyruler and this with .02m WP radius (on the old config I was using .01m successfully with Bendyruler before the navigation upgrades in 4.4+)

Currently on 4.5.4 on the Zealot H7 FC.