Beacon Fence with Copter-3.6-dev

Shingo Matsuura-san, a member of the Drone Japan School (which teaches ArduPilot software development here in Japan) developed this “Beacon Fence” feature on-top of our existing Pozyx beacon system support.

I gave it a try for the first time yesterday just before merging it to master and it works a-ok. You can see the vehicle stops about 1m before reaching the beacon.

During the test the vehicle was having some altitude hold issues that may be related to how the EKF is fusing the beacon data. We need to look into this further but it’s unrelated to the beacon fence feature. No GPS was used during this test by the way.

Thanks Matsuura-san!

Hi @rmackay9,

I’m really interested in this application as it will enable safe fight in indoor environments, and I intend to build a similar fence system for Marvelmind beacon, is this Beacon Fence mode available in Ardupilot source code? Or is the PR for this mode available, I really want to use this as a reference code for my application. I look forward to your response. Thank you.
Best,
Nghia.

1 Like

Hi Nghia,

AP already supports the marvelmind beacon system (see wiki here) although I haven’t used it myself so I can’t personally attest to how well it works.

Hi Randy,

Thank you so much for your quick response! I have read the wiki page for marvelmind system, but I’m not sure how can I setup a beacon fence which stops the copter at the fence. For outdoor GPS we have Polygon Fence, but I don’t know if I can use it for indoor GPS system like Pozyx (as your video above) and marvelmind beacon. Can you show me an example about how to setup the fence for indoor GPS? Thank you.

Nghia.

Hello @rmackay9, @nghiajenius,

Is there any update on this topic with the full 3.6 version released?

Kanord

1 Like