Battery Range Circle

Just a thought. I’d like to see a range circle around aircraft illustrating maximum flight range time based on battery measurements with estimated time left to reach minimum safe voltage level.

I use a ground station and monitor the flight characteristics of which I monitor the battery data, but I prefer a graphical range circle that decreases as battery voltage decreases with a green range circle when battery levels are above a set minimum, then it would switch to a red flashing circle when it hits the minimum safe voltage level that is programmed in the failsafe section of ardupilot planner.

This process would help alert pilots that they are about to flight below safe levels.

Thanks for the great support. Looking forward to all the innovated ideas and changes coming.

Doug Walmsley

This has been spoken about many times but fallen through the cracks with MP. I also think its a great idea.

Does this group have a GitHub to where I can post a request for implementation?

This is what I’ve been thinking should be implemented into the AndroPilot software.

Thoughts?

1. Range Circles
    a. Planning a mission and program autopilot
    i. When selecting way points
    1. Use battery configuration parameters to identify estimated battery distance that the aircraft can fly and return home.
    2. As additional waypoints are added, mission planner recalculates the battery distance for each way point to last way point and provides the operator indications as to whether aircraft can fly all waypoints and safely return home.

b. When Aircraft is Powered On
    i. Displayed on Map surrounding Aircraft
    ii. Green Range Circle – From max battery distance down to 5% battery life
    emaining (recommended minimum but operator selectable to any desired level).
    iii. Red Range Circle (Flashing) – from 5% to lowest voltage set in parameters.