Servers by jDrones

Basics needed for a rover with RTK GPS?

Just staring to put together a rover but no experience with RC or ardupilot. Have electronics and moderate PC experience - windows and linux.

Have a local CORS station and have signed up for free access so no need for a base station.
Looking at using the F9P GPS module although open to others.

Will probably be piecing this together over time since I have limited time and budget. Trying to understand what parts I need to put together and a bit overwhelmed by it all.

Am thinking I need:

Servo for steering (conventional vehicle steering)
relay channel for emergency shut down
GPS module and antenna
base to rover link (Looks like there are some $30 options with decent range - need about 1000 ft)
NTRIP client - a raspberry pi board? CORS data will come through wifi home network
Rover controller - Pixhawk 4? This is for a mower so only moderate response speed is needed
Mission planner on laptop

It appears there are several ways to hook the various blocks together. Are there some block diagrams showing the various blocks and the connections between them?

As a first step I was going to get the connection to CORS going and just verify I can receive the corrections on a pi or PC. Not clear to me what program to use for that…

Hi Jim,
We have been in a similar situation to yourself over the last year or so.
I found the guide “First Time Setup and Configuration”
https://ardupilot.org/rover/docs/apmrover-setup.html
particularly useful. We just followed the steps outlined adapting it to our own vehicle.
Quite a bit of time spent browsing this discussion board also proved to be very fruitful for us first timers.

From our own experience I would strongly recommend starting with as simple a system as you can and then adding sophistication one step at a time and getting satisfactory results and gaining an understanding of what you have done at each stage before moving to the next. For example, I would recommend that you start off with a plain GPS and add in the RTK component once the standard GPS is working well.

We also found starting off with a cheap model radio control car to be a huge help. Crashes and run-aways and the subsequent modifications being easy to cope with on a small scale.

Servers by jDrones