Basic Questions

Hi
(Didnt want to hijack the newRC1 release thread so started this one)

Firstly thanks Bill and Co (all the developers) for the updates.
I already notice the crashing bug (when disconected) is now fixed from the earlier Mac alphav4

Im still reasonably new (yet to receive all my gear) and have some basic questions (hopefully this is of thread)

1)Whats is the difference between “Mission Planner” and “APM Planner 2.0”. I ask as there are 2 forums here. Is APM Planar the official new Mission Planner (making Mission Planner obsolete?)?

1. 2d vs 3d map information.
    I love how the planner can source the multiple map options, as you can see where one maybe misaligned to the other. having options is always good.
    Is there any 3d height information being loaded into Planner? For example, Google Earth etc has toplogy information in some areas, Is this a feature that may find its way intop Planner at any stage? If so that is great, if not, does any one have ways of using external GIS software to see the 3d view, plot coordinate information and then read them back into planner.

2. Geo Fencing ?
    Is the current geofencing polygonal, or more just radius distances from Home?
    Another implementation of a 3d view would be to allow more complex model into planner (for example a street/building. Forest model, bridge , film set or whatever, that could be imported into planner and used with geofencing option (ie…avoid this volume, or stay in this volume?)
    Im sure this is easier said than done and probably thought of before, so just enquiring.

Thanks heaps

-Paul

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=5281

[quote=“pjenness”]3) Geo Fencing ?
Is the current geofencing polygonal, or more just radius distances from Home? [/quote]
copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/ac2_simple_geofence/

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=5281
[/quote]

The link given describes APM Planner and its cross-platform capabilities. It really doesn’t answer the question as to differences between it and Mission Planner (other than cross-platform) or if Mission Planner is going to be deprecated. I had the same questions but was waiting for someone else to ask.

Yes it tells the differences.

That is the difference in terms of a normal user.
If you want the differences under the hood, you just have to download both source codes and look at them side by side.

And yes, MP is going to be deprecated in the future, when APM Planner 2 is ready to take over.

Thanks.

That I think explains the Planner2 vs MissionPlanner. Mission Planner was a new set of tools and UI that has been adopted by APM Planner, which will become the new platform?

Regarding the other questions in the original post. Is there (or will there be) 3d implementation into Mission Planners view. For both DEM Toplogy data (where available) and abstract polygonal models , like .obj from maya etc (or simple way to generate polygonal fencing in the planner.)
The display window in APM:P2, is that coded as 2d only. Or is it potentially 3d but currently set to 2d/orthoganal view?

Thanks

-Paul

[quote=“pjenness”]Thanks.

That I think explains the Planner2 vs MissionPlanner. Mission Planner was a new set of tools and UI that has been adopted by APM Planner, which will become the new platform?

Regarding the other questions in the original post. Is there (or will there be) 3d implementation into Mission Planners view. For both DEM Toplogy data (where available) and abstract polygonal models , like .obj from maya etc (or simple way to generate polygonal fencing in the planner.)
The display window in APM:P2, is that coded as 2d only. Or is it potentially 3d but currently set to 2d/orthoganal view?

Thanks

-Paul[/quote]

The map window is 2d only, displaying mapping data from several different mapping sources, but not Google earth. There has been some discussion of a 3d view, and QGC, the base of AP2 originally had Google earth capability so that may at some point be put back in, but it is not currently on the road-map.

OK good to know.

Thanks!