Awful Yaw performance

Hi all,

I’m using the Cube orange mounted to the hexsoon 650 with DSHOT BLHeli32ESC’s (with tear drop booms) so motor mounting is fixed and the motors cannot be rotated.

The UAV flies really well with pitch & roll, it climbs out and descends really well. I have attempted to autoune the yaw but it doesnt really make any difference. Left yaw is better that right, when moving forward flight and trying to turn left yaw input has very little effect right is slightly better, but it feels like there is no yaw authority at all when moving into forward flight, it generally feels disconnected with massive delays between inputs from the radio and response from the uav. When doing fast climbouts and fast descents, the UAV holds its heading and doesn’t rotate at all.

Can anyone comment on this? I’m new to arducopter and not sure. I have attached a log file and screen grab for the motors. This log captured the yaw auto tuning and then some circuits afterwards.

I was under the impression the motor outputs should be tracking along the same line or very close? the graph shows the motors are out, and in pairs, they look like they are seperated by CC and CCW motors

Any inuput would be great?

Matt.2023-08-10 16-44-03.bin (799.2 KB)

Looks like you have a crazy yaw imbalance, no wonder that it spins better in one direction.
Fix the imbalance, and the problem will go away.
The motors are rotated in the booms despite the teardrop. Fix that.

Did you link to the right log? Nothing going on in that one. And preferably not an Auto Tune log. Post Auto Tune would be good.

Just curious, I’ve heard more than once that an autotune log is not desirable in most cases. Why is that?

By nature of the autotune mode the drone isn’t acting “normal”. You don’t see all the effects of the new tune. The drone flies on the previous tune until you land, and disarm in autotune mode to save all the parameters. If I have battery left after an autotune (and the parameters are saved) I try to do a quick flight in loiter so I can see how it’s doing. Or atleast so I have something in the logs to look at.

1 Like