Autotune won't use/remember it's settings

Hi Leonard,

I tried AT on my new Pixhawk powered Tarot960 Hexa for the first time yesterday, before AT the Hexa was very jittery as standard settings too high,

after autotune, (very successful) Hexa flew great! so disarm with AT still on, to save settings, refreshed MP to check new settings (surprised at settings!) but happy days, flies great, take off again, still good…

BBUUUUUUTTTTT on next boot up, new battery, Hexa flew all jittery like before AT??? refreshed parameters… and the new autotuned settings are still there… but flies like on default??

I repeated the process over and over, did 5 autotunes, tried refreshing full parameter list, saving it, and reloading it on new battery boot up… but everytime it seems the pixhawk boots into its default settings, even though it shows autotuned pids…

weird weird weird

any ideas??

AC3.1.1 on Pixhawk
Tarot 960 Hexa
380KV Tarot Pancake motors
Multistar 40A ESC’s

Cheers

BOB

[quote=“BobFlint”]Hi Leonard,

I tried AT on my new Pixhawk powered Tarot960 Hexa for the first time yesterday, before AT the Hexa was very jittery as standard settings too high,

after autotune, (very successful) Hexa flew great! so disarm with AT still on, to save settings, refreshed MP to check new settings (surprised at settings!) but happy days, flies great, take off again, still good…

BBUUUUUUTTTTT on next boot up, new battery, Hexa flew all jittery like before AT??? refreshed parameters… and the new autotuned settings are still there… but flies like on default??

I repeated the process over and over, did 5 autotunes, tried refreshing full parameter list, saving it, and reloading it on new battery boot up… but everytime it seems the pixhawk boots into its default settings, even though it shows autotuned pids…

weird weird weird

any ideas??

AC3.1.1 on Pixhawk
Tarot 960 Hexa
Multistar 40A ESC’s

Cheers

BOB[/quote]

Please attach a log? Internally there is no difference between the way the parameters are retrieved for the telemetry, the dataflash, and the controllers, so if the dataflash or telemetry say that the parameters are X, then the parameters are X.

All I can do for you is look at a log and tell you what it says your parameters are.

OK thanks, I’ll have a look for a log file that was an AT flight…

the PIDS got lower and lower everytime it completed an AT… so it was like it new it was too twitchy, and reduced the PIDS everytime… but it was starting from the defaults everytime… if you know what I mean…

it really was like it was saying the parameters were “X” while they really were “Y” and they were being ratched down after every AT… very weird

I’ll keep trying… but I have to do an Autotune at the beginning of every flight… kinda limits my endurance!!

Cheers!

BOB

[quote=“BobFlint”]Hi Leonard,

weird weird weird

any ideas??

AC3.1.1 on Pixhawk
Tarot 960 Hexa
Multistar 40A ESC’s

Cheers

BOB[/quote]

Hi sir,

I am kinda surprised that you did not get any ESC de-sync issue while performing AT with your pancake motors.
Could you share with us which ESC’s were you using on your frame?

Really sorry that i couldnt help you with your problem.

Regards,
Vaibhav Kumar

Perhaps you were missing this?
copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/autotune/
10. If you are happy with the autotuned PID gains, leave the ch7/ch8 switch in the HIGH position, land and disarm to save the PIDs permanently.
If you DO NOT like the new PIDS, switch ch7/ch8 LOW to return to the original PIDs. The gains will not be saved when you disarm.

Hi Bob,

I really need a flash log to see why your parameters aren’t being saved. You may not have had the switch set the the correct position as jaschall said, or autotune may be failing at the last second.

Vaibhav,
the sink issues are generally caused by Simon K firmware on low kv motors. I have only seen one sink issues on a standard ESC. So it isn’t impossible on standard ESC’s but much less likely.

[quote=“Leonardthall”]Hi Bob,

I really need a flash log to see why your parameters aren’t being saved. You may not have had the switch set the the correct position as jaschall said, or autotune may be failing at the last second.

Vaibhav,
the sink issues are generally caused by Simon K firmware on low kv motors. I have only seen one sink issues on a standard ESC. So it isn’t impossible on standard ESC’s but much less likely.[/quote]

Ah crap! I just bought the afro ESC’s from HK…

Hi guys, yeh I’m definately sure some of you don’t read peoples posts before you reply…

THEY ARE MULTISTAR 40A ESC’s

YES I AM LEAVING A/T ON WHEN I DISARM

YES THE NEW PARAMETERS COME UP WHEN I REFRESH THE SCREEN

NO IT DOESN’T USE THEM ON NEXT FLIGHT/BATTERY…

will do more testing this weekend and post a log… better yet i should post a video, you can hear it more clearly than see it… and I doubt log will show anything, as parameters “appear” different on refresh however on next battery boot up pixhawk seems to load default settings…

I need to make my own firmware defaults based on A/T settings and upload them as new firmware defaults, then it will load those on each re-boot!!

it’s like the definition of insanity, I keep on doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result!

BOB

Please do not “yell.” We are reading your (nearly unreadable) posts to the best of our ability. I do see now that you said you disarmed with autotune still on.

You’re posting in a log analysis forum. You’re not posting a log. Please read what Leonard said and post a log.