Autotune with large multi's

I have been reading there’s problems using the autotune in large units. Has this been resolved? Or should I avoid it? I’ve got a Tarot 960 with Foxtech 5010 motors and 18" propellers. It hovers at about 35% throttle.

[mf]3DR Hardware Support/Pixhaw[/mf]

Here you will get better answer to your question.

Would you mind to test with 3.2 and provide the log files, please? The more log files developers get from bigger vehicles the better off autotune going to become

Is it better to use autotune in 3.2 than 3.1? Just finished checking for any sync issues given I’m running 5010 motors and SimonK esc’s. Now I know there’s no sync issue I’ll got try the autotune tomorrow. Just wanted to know first if there was a reason to use 3.2. Back in my DJI days, using the latest firmware had great peril lol!

[quote=“RogelioN”][mf]3DR Hardware Support/Pixhaw[/mf]

Here you will get better answer to your question.

Would you mind to test with 3.2 and provide the log files, please? The more log files developers get from bigger vehicles the better off autotune going to become[/quote]

You can use 3.1.5

Any new info on using Autotune with large multi’s? I’ve got a 1300mm X8 with U8Pro motors, 28" propellers and 44ah6s batteries. That would be on the large size. Hate to be the first one lol!

Forgot to add that these are 170kv motors.

There is somebody else who has used it on a very large quad here:

viewtopic.php?f=100&t=10608

So far, it does work, sort of, but there are some issues he is working through. Right now vibration is a major problem and can screw up Auto-tune.

I’ll try it on a 1000mm hex first and see how it goes. Pretty slow motors at 280kv and 18" propellers. I dynamically balance the cans and the props with a vortex dynamic balancer, so that may help. Thanks.

Balancing will help for sure, but the problem is often structural. Many of the larger machines are just not being made stiff enough, with the RPM of the propellers too close to the natural frequency of the motor booms, etc.

I’ve got a Tarot t960, 3DR Pixhawk with 5008 330 Kv motors running 18 inch props and the autotune went fine for me. I had to knock the pitch P down as it was a bit twitchy but other than that I kept the changes. HTH

Russ

Russ, instead of turning down the Pitch P, you should try using the ATC parameters. Read my comments in this thread:

diydrones.com/forum/topics/after … nsive-over