Autotune guidance

Out of curiosity did this fly “OK” on default parameters? Not tuning instruction values, default.

Yes, it flew fine as set up in the Tuning Process Instructions and using the spreadsheet from @Leonardthall and certainly better than after autotuning. I still want to figure it out for the satisfaction of it, and because after I get this one done, I’ve got another, much more precious drone to do. Plus, if there’s anything not being stated in the Tuning Process Instructions or Autotune documentation, then maybe it can help others.

The reason I suspect my
PSC_ACCZ_I to “0.3547712”
PSC_ACCZ_P to “0.1773856”
being wrong is because it actually flew the best using the defaults for these and not changing them according to the Tuning Process Instructions

That’s not what I meant but good info. So with default Stab/Rate PID’s, which the instructions don’t address, and the changes as per the Spreadsheet it flew well?

What I meant was did it fly with Arducopter defaults before making any changes as per the Spreadsheet? Or did you not make a flight in that condition.

Oh. I never tried it without first doing the Tuning Process Instructions In fact, I am not sure I ever had it setup as default, because I got the drone secondhand, and started with what it came with for .params. (but went through everything and checked/set everything)

OK, don’t blame you with that craft. I ask this because I have a high thrust/weight 13" craft and with the tuning instructions parameters it will not Autotune well. I have a decent amount of experience with manual tuning so I completed the tune that way.

It wouldn’t hurt for you to add weight to that craft in the form of a larger capacity battery. If that MOT_THST_HOVER is correct perhaps this is a problem for Autotune given the other parameters.

I am using a battery which is about 50% of what it would’ve come with new (5200 mAh vs. 10,000 mAh)

Ok. Based on what you say, maybe I’ll set it back to what is prescribed in the Tuning Process Instructions, with the exception of the PSC_ACCZ_I PSC_ACCZ_P parameters, which I will leave at defaults since that is how it flew awesome.

The Rate Pitch PID’s are close to Arducopter default. I is less than P so maybe you or the previous owner tweaked this? It’s not uncommon, just wondering.You could just set the roll parameters equal to the pitch values.

I Might do that. However, the 3DR X8 isn’t exactly weighted the same on the pitch and roll axis… What I mean is, the center of the craft is not square. Could this be why?

And this brings up another question I have: When people talk about “PID’s” which parameters exactly are those? I would assume, for each axis:

ATC_ANG_RLL_P
ATC_RAT_RLL_D
ATC_RAT_RLL_I
ATC_RAT_RLL_P
?

The reason I ask is this sounds more like PPID’s to me… Maybe they just mention the “P” once?

Rates: atc_rat_pit_p(and i,d) and same for roll +usually only p and i for yaw

1 Like

That would be why Stabilize and Rate Pitch PID’s would be different from Roll values yes.

Yes, that’s right. ANG is Stabilize and RAT is RATE. I don’t know what you mean PPID. It’s just common loop terms; Proportional, Integral, Derivative.

1 Like

I guess the adage “if it aint broke, don’t fix it” applies…

Learning a lot though. Thanks for all the help everyone. You’re incredibly helpful and it is appreciated.