Autotune failed / Pixracer / overpowered

@Leonardthall

You find the log at http://thorstenbehrens.de/1048573.bin.
There are vibration peaks at 50Hz, 100Hz and 200Hz in the ACC data.

Best regards,
Thorsten

Hi Thorsten,
I think the gyro noise is pretty high but I will have to do some comparisons to my other copters. I hope I can get this done over the weekend.

@Leonardthall
Hi Leonard,

Is Gyro noise stemming from vibrations or is it the noise of the component?
Zooming into the GyrXYZ values there seems to be some aliasing. So it must be vibrations. Should I try other (harder, no softer at hand…) dampers - even though the common vibe analysis says it is perfect (in loiter).

And most important: can this noise cause any problems apart from a not working autotune? It flies fine…

Thanks a lot!
Thorsten

Hi Thorsten,

If it flies fine then you are fine. The noise will mean you have slightly warmer motor temperatures and slightly shorter flights but you probably wouldn’t notice that any way.

I think this is coming from vibration so a different density of isolation might do the trick. But if it is flying fine then I say enjoy it.

My main goal is to work out what is causing these issues with Autotune.

Thanks!!

@Leonardthall

yes, the motors are warmer than expected - but far from being hot. I have almost 40min flight time with this one so that’s ok.
However, I’ll change the dampers and make some tests including Autotune.
It seems there is much more about vibration to check than just the vibes or the IMU data.

What about increasing EK2_GYRO_PNOISE? Will this help autotune?

Best regards,
Thorsten

Sorry, I missed a couple of things you asked.

If you want I would try harder dampers. Soft dampers will be great for acceleration vibration isolation but may be putting the resonate frequency right in the wrong spot.

The adjustment of the EKF won’t help autotune as it is looking directly at the rate measurement.

1 Like

@Leonardthall

Thanks for the inut!

I tried harder dampers but ACC and GYR noise increased pretty much. I also tried adding weight to the FC in combination with the softer dampers but this had almost no effect. I’ll try to change the filter frequencies from 40Hz to 20Hz and try another autotune.

Perhaps it’s a good idea to try some dampers instead hard mount? What dampers are you using to get autotune working?

@cala2

Hi Cala,

I suggest not to hard mount it until the devs announce something regarding 4kHz sampling. I also see no reason not to use dampers. If they are not too soft they should not cause any trouble. But in most cases they’ll help.

Cheers,
Thorsten

1 Like

Thank’s Thorsten, I’m going to try, I have 3DR pads and orange HK pad, at the begining Randy recommends the orange one I hope, If I have better results with Autotune I share. My copter looks like flying well but something is not well tunning or setup yet, if I use the correct filters don’t fly well, perhaps bad quality motors I need dampers…

Regarding vibrations with either PixHawks and PixRacer I have good results with a compound of HK orange latex, medium hard servo tape and velcro.
Velcro on the frame, and then a “sandwich” of velcro+dual sided 3M clear sponge tape+ HK latex foam+ dual sided 3M clear sponge tape->3d printed case (PixRacer) or regular case (PixHawk). 4 small squares aprox 8mmx8mm one on each corner of the case.

1 Like

I test with HKorange latex and double sided tape and now yaw works at 5 filter but autotune still don’t work, I share log if it’s usefull

No more light today, tomorrow I try Ins-gyro filter=40 , today is 20

40, still not work, I hope patience and long afternoon to fine tunning is the way; but I’m still intrigate why my racer doesn’t want to autotune.

waiting for the slow boat from China to test with small frames

1 Like

Welcome to the club :smiley: , you can see mine here http://diydrones.com/group/racer-cuads/forum/topics/building-a-robocat-piloted-by-a-pikracer

Hi Cala,
It looks like the reason your autotune isn’t working now is because your sticks are not at their midpoints. Autotune waits until all sticks are centred and you are not asking for any altitude change.

Thank’s Leonard to take a look, before that log I try changing mid thr again to double the thr out and little movements again, now I’m not very shure were I have to use the mid thr by my bad english understand, if now, is automatic, if I have to use at double that thr out says or if my racer is very overpowered; it’s looks that near 50% the copter mantain better altitude, I’m going to try to increase more and see what happen; If I have success I share here.
The incredible now is that good or bad tune, I can enjoy flying in the way :smiley: , great development work; thank’s

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Autotune problem in Pixracer

There were at least two bugs that Leonard and I have found in AutoTune in the past few days. We’ve corrected these and Copter-3.4-rc2 is on it’s way out to the Mission Planner. If people have been having trouble, I think it would be good to retry with Copter-3.4-rc2.

I’m going to close this topic and I think we should start a new one if/when there are issues with -rc2’s autotune.

1 Like