Autotune 2, 3 flights? Are the PIDS refined more and more?

Hi folks…

Just wondering…

If I run autotune a 2nd time, does Pixhawk start over from scratch using some default PID values as a starting piont?

Or does it start the 2nd autotune flight using the current (already autotuned) PID’s? And if so, what is an optimum number of flights to run autotune? I imagine there are diminishing returns as the number of autotune flights goes up.

Also…what is autotune aiming for? I know it’s an “optimized” flight characteristic…but what is that? Better stability? Quick response to controls?

Thanks…

Bill

Good question, awaiting responses… :question:

HI, very new here and new with the APM 2.6 v3.2.1. I have programmed the board settings with the 6 position switch on my Turnigy 9x. The mission planner is programmed but not sure how to set the auto tune to activate once I am in the air hovering. I am switch to Atl/hold but then what? I am missing how to set the auto tune to work… Must be a switch or knob I need to start it? I am needing some direction, even if it is one of you guys on this post. Thanks in advance

Still waiting. Seems there isn’t much activity around here lately. :open_mouth:

To start auto-tune you should enable it on a different swich than flight mode’s one. You keep the multi on alt-hold and once in the air, you enable auto-tune’s swich and wait for it to end the process. Once finished, you can land (keeping auto-tune’s switch enabled) and disarm the copter, if you like the tuning; also you can switch it off before disarming and then it doesn’t record the new PID’s.
Hope it helps!

I understand the auto tune is made for better generic stability. If you’d like fast response then you can tweak the final results to release more power and get faster response.

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk