Autonomous soaring - success

After a little bit more than one year of work I could carry out the final test flight with my glider. A short review is avaliable here.
The configuration of the glider and the test flights went mainly smooth, with two exeptions. I had two crashes, one probably because of a misplaced geofence and a second one because of a problem with the folding prop.

Any comments are welcome.

1 Like

Congratulations on the successful test of the glider! I also did two projects with two gliders, this Soaring mode works great. However, I wonder why your glider does not have antennas and a course video camera? Look at my airframe, it’s made of carbon fiber so the antennas are located on the outside.

1 Like

I wanted to have an aerodynamicaly clean airframe, so the antennas are all placed in the fuselage. The tail boom is made of a tapered carbon tube, the fuselage forward section is made of fiberglass with some carbon fiber reinforcements so that it does not affect radio performance. And, honestly, I never thought of a camera…

Here is my glider setup: F3B MATEK765WING ARDUPILOT - YouTube
The first procedure - in flight I trimmed in MANUAL mode with saving the settings on the toggle switch with the TRIMRC_SERVOSAVE function (155), then in FBWA mode I switched the toggle switch to AUTO-TUNE (107) and automatically adjusted PID and FF by ROLL and PITCH. Next, I checked the RTL mode, after several laps, a test flight by points, AUTO mode - 4 points of the WP route at an altitude of 100 m and repeat three times upon completion, the glider switches automatically to RTL and manual landing with flaps in MANUAL mode.
It is very useful to watch the flight through the course camera

1 Like