Autonomous Boat Project using Ardu-Rover Firmware on ESP32

Hey there!

I’m diving into a new project and could really use some(every bit of) help. So, I’ve got this idea for an autonomous boat, and after some poking around, I stumbled upon Ardupilot. Now, I’m thinking of using a doit ESP-32 Devkit V1, Neo-6m GPS module, HMC883L compass, L298N motor driver, and a couple of DC motors. Do you reckon these components are good to go?

Just to give you a heads up, I’m a total newbie in this space. My Arduino skills are basic .ino sketches level. But, I’m super excited about making this boat happen. It’s got the potential to be a game-changer for my community. So, if you could point me in the right direction, suggest some readings, and maybe help me out with the coding, I’d be forever grateful.

Looking forward to your expert advice!

Hello and welcome @baeBanana,
I am also a newbie to ardupilot and reading lots of threads and information in here before starting my first project. And also I have some expierince with software projects on ESP32 and arduino.
I know some people in here had build also ardupilot projects on ESP32 bu t this is not a normal out of the box supported module for ardupilot. For this module a custom porting of the ardupilot firmware is necessary If your skills are just basic .ino sketches on arduino IDE this might be very challenging. So I recommend to use one of the boards listed here https://ardupilot.org/rover/docs/common-autopilots.html#.
Form me the Mateksys H743-MINI seems to be a nice entry point

1 Like

No. Start with a supported flight controller and current GPS/compass module (M10)

Or, if you like pain check out this thread where a poster has been struggling with an ESP32 implementation for 3 months.
Fun with ESP32
It should be noted there is success there too.

2 Likes