Auto tuning a larger copter

I once read that auto tuning a copter with slower tuning motors (390) and larger props 15-17" does not work
well. Has anything changed in recent released such as 3.4rc2 or is manual tuning the only recommended way. This would be using SimonK firmware on the ESC’s as well. I think I could change them to BLHeli but not sure.

George

horga83,
I’ve used autotune successfully with -rc2 on my large-ish quadcopter. It has 46cm (18") diameter propellers. It has 340kv motors with a 6S battery. There were a number of issues with AutoTune in -rc1 that Leonard and I resolved while autotuning this vehicle.

By the way, I’ve update the AutoTune wiki recently as part of that I added a small note in the “Setup before flight” section to set the Rate Roll and Pitch filters to 10hz for big copters.
http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/autotune.html

@rmackay9, that’s great news to hear! I’ve been waiting, grounded if you will, for someone to report success with AutoTune with -rc2 on a larger quad. Did you happen to have any issues with AutoTune on yaw? -rc1 would hardly respond to tuning yaw for me. Also, did AutoTune work for you in a reasonable amount of time? -rc1 for me would 15+ minutes for roll, pitch & yaw.

My build is with a Navio 2 using an external GPS/Compass on a Quanum Spider 700 frame with ZTW Black Widow 3508-400Kv motors.

Best regards

Joe,
-rc1 definitely did not tune yaw well for me (because of a bug) but -rc2 was better although during the testing/bug fixing I probably did 5 or 6 autotunes also using various AUTOTUNE_AGGR values (1.0, 0.075 and 0.05) and I took the yaw tune that I liked best. I guess I’m saying it took me a few tries to get the yaw I liked.
It took 10min to tune all 3 axis for me…

1 Like