Auto Tune APM

I am just starting to test my first quad with a 3dRobotics Pixhawk. The quad is a HK 650c frame with Afro 30 amp esc’s flashed with SimonK software. The motors are NTM Pro 28-30s 800kva 300w. I note when I read the Auto Tune Info section there is a warning about esc’s with SimonK flashing and motor sync. Myself and a friend are both unsure if we should use Auto Tune. Thanks for any input.

There’s a motor sync test that you can do to check for motor sync issues. If that passes, then you should use autotune. If it doesn’t, you shouldn’t fly at all.

youtube.com/watch?v=modoXFYhhN4

You may need to get 3.2 to do it.

Thanks for the information. I watched the video and will checkout my quad. The copter flies well but is a little twitchy with a small amount of wind. I have worked with the PID’s , but not had much experience with them. I dropped the P on pitch and roll down from .15 to .105 and that has helped. I get about 9 minutes from my 3cell 3300mil battery, so that should give me enough time to complete auto tune. MY friend and I were concerned when we read the warning about ESC’s flashed with simonK software. We both felt, better to have a twitchy quad than a dead one. My friends controller is a apm 2.5. You mentioned 3.2 software, at present i believe my software is 3.1.5. Is 3.2 beta or is it a release version and where can you download it? Again, thanks for your help and information. My Pixhawk and GPS are from 3DRobits