Auto Landing and crash

I have tried several times with my flying wing the autolanding mode and I get the feeling that the plane comes down too early. The bird does not reach its destination and seems to hit the ground unexpectedly.
In other words, the plane still seems to be in curve mode and then hits too early and unexpectedly.

Does a flying wing lose height when turning?

Is that compensated?

Is the trajectory wrong?

Maybe too short?

Can the flight computer compensate for mission errors?

Is it possible to specify parameters such as priorities, how to continue the mission if a parameter is not reached?

Hi smilie

Difficult to say without an .BIN log. Personally I have found that the auto landing system in stock Ardupilot is confusing, in that the specified waypoint is the target touchdown location rather than the reference point /flare location.

Sam

Hi Samuel,

Can you better explain what you mean? I do not get it. What do you mean by reference point and flare?

Hi @smilie,

It can take a while to get your head around the autoland features, there are a number of parameters that you can adjust. The documentation is pretty good. It took a number of attempts and being ready to go around if i didn’t like it.

Once you get everything adjusted it is pretty good in that you can typically repeatedly land within a few metres of the target each time. With the odd landing that is not quite where you wanted it.

Does a flying wing lose height when turning - yes all do but ardupilot compensates for it Best solution here it so make it a straight in approach, put a waypoint out that means its not making turns as it comes in to flare.

I found that the accuracy of the landings works far better with a Lidar rangefinder, for conventional landings even a cheap TFMini or similar will help a lot. For reverse thrust landings they work better with a rangerfinder that has a longer range.

Once it’s all dialed in it brilliant.

Away from the flying field I’d start with reviewing your mission first and getting it right, then take a look at the parameters. Only then go for a test fly, be ready to abort and put it in loiter at a safe location. Make minor adjustments and try again until its getting close. If you need to make big adjustments then I’d land first, adjust and go again.

On a new plane this could take me 5 to 15 landing attempts to work out what works for it. Keep repeating even after a few successful landings, I’d wait till you get 6 to 12 ‘good’ landings to say its working well.

I should add I was lucky to have Tom P help me out with the reverse thrust landings, was a good fun just trying and optimising things.

Chris

Thank you Chris,

So you enable the TFMini for landing
Is it possible that the calculated trajectory erroneously goes through the ground before the landing point is reached?

can you concretize the important parameters?
You adjust parameters like this?

• Stallspeed
    • ARSPD_FBW_MIN
  • Flighdynamic
    • curve radius
    • ptch2serv_p
    • rll2serv_p
    • navl1period
  • Flighgeometry
    • level_roll_limit

Or i forget some important?

Hi @smilie,

Yes I have the TFMini enabled as a rangefinder pointing to the ground to provide accurate height above ground. Its only effective outdoor to about 9-9.5m. It works well for conventional landings.

In terms of the parameters you should take a look at:
http://ardupilot.org/plane/docs/automatic-landing.html

The page is pretty much a guide and works through the conventional landing process very well. Those are the params I am referring to. The others you referenced should be in a ‘working’ state before you start trying auto landings.

Regards,

Chris