Are all ESC protocols available on all flight controllers that support Ardupilot

Will any flight controller that supports Ardupilot support all the ESC protocols that are listed for the parameter MOT_PWM_TYPE? Or are there any limitations in the hardware of flight controllers that prevent it from running a specific protocol?

Sure. Up until the latest Beta versions of Ardupilot Flight Contollers with IOMCU’s were not Dshot capable on those outputs. This has changed but it depends on the IOMCU processor.
Other than that all supported Flight Controllers will run all available protocols from the old F4’s and up. It’s not advisable to run Dshot past 600.

1 Like

from the old F4’s and up.

Prior to the F4s, was it just DShot that was not supported?

Prior to F4’s? That would be an APM flight controller. Not sure I understand the question, What protocol are you referring to?

How I understood your comment was that as long as the processor is an F4 or later, all protocols are supported. I was curious what protocols are not supported if you happen to have an older processor.

More generally I am trying to figure out what specifications are required to support all protocols, what is about older processors that prevent them from using newer protocols, e.g. clock speed.

I hope that makes sense

No older processor is supported by Ardupilot and hasn’t been for many years. F4’s are feature limited today although that doesn’t apply to the ESC protocol.

Get an H7 processor, there are no limitations of any kind on those.