Arduplane SITL with X-Plane 11 and VTOL

Hi, I’m wondering on if someone could help me in my project by modify MissionPlanner a while.

So in short therm. I’m an X-plane developer with professional knowledge on X-plane plane making as well as writing plugins, making objects, texturing, PBR, etc. But I’m also interested in rc modelling (VTOLs). So I’d like to make a VTOL in x-plane to practice mission planning and parameter dial in.

What I’d need for this is to have the possibility in MissionPlanner Simulation for x-plane quadplane support, by controlling x-plane airplane motors no. 1-4 (index from 0 to 3) as vtol motors, motor no. 5 (index 4) as pusher motor and sim/aircraft/vtolcontrols/acf_vectarmZ dataref as vtol servos.

Thank you in advance!

Best regards
Adrian

you can just run the normal plane simulator and configured the params for a quadplane.

I would guess you might struggle to do a VTOL with the X-plane to ArduPilot update rate.

The problem is that the current version don’t send 5 throttle channels to XP, only one.
So I can’t control descent at all.

BTW I can add artifical stability within X-Plane in case low speed connection is an issue, but I’d definitelly acheve to let SITL control both hover mode and straight flight, to be able to write complex missions in planner.

Ah, I see, I misunderstood the issue.

This is the code were where the outputs are sent from ArduPilot,

I have no idea on about the formats X-Plane is expecting, but you should be able to add in some extra outputs there.

Yes, thank you, I just found this.
Perhaps I could modify it but I don’t have the environment to compile my own MP.
Can you perhaps help once I modify this?

Unless you setup the AP build environment you won’t be able to test even if I were to change it. The dev wiki has everything you should need to get started.

https://ardupilot.org/dev/index.html

Plane and Heli work well with X-Plane 11. I really struggle to get above 75-100 packets/sec from X-Plane which makes quadplane or copter difficult to fly well with ArduPilot running at the same time.

I modified SIM_XPlane previously to add a vertical jet to an aircraft that was controlled while the autopilot was running. For that I just read in the position of my slider from X-Plane as Mixture 3 to the throttle2 variable and sent it back by changing d.data[1] to throttle2. A link to that change is here.

I see this is an old topic but I managed to tweak the Xplane11 interface to fly literally any VTOL configuration. My latest success is with a fixed wing plane with tilting rotors that flies perfectly both in VTOL.and CTOL configurations. I also had success with V22 Osprey which is a tail-sitter configuration and is readily available on XPlane as an aircraft.

XPlane 11 turns out to be a very reliable and cost-effective alternative to RealFlight with its trustable physics and the upside of flying in real-world sceneries and weather conditions.

Ping me if you are still looking for a solution.

I would be interested in this solution. What would I need to do?

Here are the instructions from another thread.

https://discuss.ardupilot.org/t/re-new-quadplane-features-for-4-1/74714/14?u=albcem

If the link is down I will renew it.

Thanks for the assistance. I attempted to access the link but the page is showing a statement that says the page doesn’t exist or is private.

Hello,

I am interested as well! I tried the link and it came back as not existing or private.

Many Thanks,
Adam

Here is the link to the files with the README instructions. Please read it well before trying the solution!

https://easyupload.io/st8wis

Will do! Thank you for the link and the assistance!

Thank you very much for this! I will read carefully and let you know how it goes.

Best,
Adam

Hey, are you able to share this still? Very interested in flying the V22 through ardupilot! Thanks!

Hi, I also would like to take a look at your files, can you please refresh this link?