ArduPilot Code Coverage

Code Coverage at ArduPilot

Credit to CommitStrip : https://www.commitstrip.com/en/2017/02/08/where-are-the-tests/?setLocale=1

You may have seen in the latest weeks that the devs were speaking about Coverage. What is that ?

Coverage or code coverage is a technique to gather statistics on which line and function on the code we actually test !
You may be aware that at ArduPilot we have an automated test suite that runs numerous tests each time someone proposes a contribution. But an important question remains : Does the test suite cover the code change ? That is the whole point of code coverage analysis that gives us lines by lines, and functions per function, which ones are called and which ones aren’t. The more your tests cover line of code, the less chance you have to have bugs. That is why certification in Aeronautics or in the car industry is long and costly since reaching 100% coverage is close to mandatory and hard to achieve … resulting in the unfortunate scandals, these two industries have faced in the past few years.

That is why in the latest weeks, Peter Barker and myself push some effort on getting better support on code coverage. We are now getting a simpler script to run the coverage gathering and we will get automated statistics updated every week.

The most important question that you are now asking is : how much code coverage do we have ?
On 2021-05-20, we were on the whole project at:

Lines 52.2 %
Functions 61.9 %

We can also details the statistics per vehicles :

Copter
Lines 64.1 %
Functions 80.8 %
Plane
Lines 61.5 %
Functions 80.5 %
Rover
Lines 57.7 %
Functions 78.7 %
Sub
Lines 33.9 %
Functions 53.4 %

That isn’t that bad but not the best either. We can also see that our testing is unequal among the vehicles, the Sub being the less tested vehicle.
You can have access to our latest report on our server at https://firmware.ardupilot.org/coverage/

How do we generate this

To gather the code coverage statistics, we are running all our tests ! That means :

• Unit tests : Those are simple tests on functions to test that one input gives the expected output. We don’t have much Unit tests, but most of them are in AP_Math library, to test our maths functions https://github.com/ArduPilot/ardupilot/tree/master/libraries/AP_Math/tests
  • Functional tests : Those are autotest. We are running simulations test cases with a fully simulated vehicle and test whatever we want : Mavlink message input, sensor failure, autotune, RC input, etc. We got around 300 autotests running currently and the number is growing.

There is now a script run_coverage.py in Tools/scrips/ that allow you to do the coverage testing. You can use it like that :

• First you need to set up your build configuration and build the right binaries. We need to build the SITL binaries before running the coverage tools ! And those need to be built in coverage mode, obviously, and debug mode, to minimize the compile optimisation. The invocation is Tools/scripts/run_coverage.py -i, where -i stands for init. It will then check that you got the right binaries with the right compilation flags. If that isn’t the case, it will build them. And finally, it will initialize the code coverage handling with the binaries you built.

You can now launch as much testing as you want, running SITL or making some corrections on the code. Each time you will launch the tests, the coverage handling will run. For example, you can run the Rangefinder drivers testing with : Tools/autotest/autotest.py test.Copter.RangeFinderDrivers

To display the coverage, you need to ask for the statistics

• Tools/scripts/run_coverage.py -u will do it for you. At the end of the script will ask you to open the index.html that will be in the reports directory. This will open the same kind of web page with the coverage statistics than on our server.

To run every tests,

• Tools/scripts/run_coverage.py -f, where -f is for full, will do the building and run all tests. This is really long : around 2h30min to launch every test. That one current limitation of our autotest suite : we don’t do parallel testing yet.

Why does code coverage matter

Doing code coverage analysis when writing tests is a good exercise to understand the code and check that we are truly testing what we want.
It is something to write tests, but it is better if the tests are right ! During the writing of the code coverage script, we find numerous bugs into the code base. Here are some examples :

What is next

As you have seen we don’t have the best code coverage, we are looking to improve this. You can totally help to make the project better by creating new unit tests or functional tests ! This is a good way to learn about the code and contribute to the project.

20 Likes

The coverage results are from 2021.05.20.
Weren’t there plans to make it run automatically every Sunday?

I need someone to enable coveralls.io support on ardupilot and we will have auto report every week

The coverage update are now on https://coveralls.io/github/ArduPilot/ardupilot

Thanks for you work Pierre. Looks really nice.

@khancyr
I tried to test the code coverage with sim_vehicle.py. But, it could not produce *.gcda after executing sim_vehicle.py.

I did for the following steps:

1. Add --coverage option in sim_vehicle.py

cmd_configure = [waf_light, “configure”, “–board=sitl”, “–debug”, “–coverage”]

1. Zeroing previous build

lcov --zerocounters --directory ./

1. Initializing Coverage with current build

lcov --no-external --initial --capture --exclude=./modules/uavcan/* --exclude=./build/sitl/modules/* --directory ./ -o lcov_base_hs.info

1. Run sim_vehicle.py

./Tools/autotest/sim_vehicle.py -v ArduCopter --console

1. Obtain coverage statistics

lcov --no-external --capture --directory ./ -o lcov_base_hs.info

However, there is no any gcda file…
Could you give me an advice about what I missed? Thanks!

hello,

I have just checked and we got and issue with sim_vehicle.py for coverage. I am fixing it.

1 Like

@khancyr
Thanks for your work!

1 Like

Is there a way to get updated reports like this one here. That way you can click into individual lines. It looks like the Coveralls doesn’t let you see which lines haven’t been hit. You can only see the percentage covered?

(I really dont want to set my computer aside to run all of the autotests with coverage enabled to get the full report.) I’ve ran the script for specific items before which worked wonderfully.

No, unfortunately we don’t have other service than coveralls.io for sharing the coverage. Normally, if you are sign in, you can have the line coverage.
If you don’t want to block your computer on coverage gathering, you could always use github action to do it for you !

1 Like

Cool! For some reason I didn’t think of signing into it via github. I just thought it would be open for all to see. That worked and I can see the lines! :slight_smile:

Otherwise Peter have update the coverage on our server too.

Is there a way to get updated reports like this one here. That way you can click into individual lines. It looks like the Coveralls doesn¢t let you
see which lines haven¢t been hit. You can only see the percentage covered?

coveralls is better than the old system - but I updated the old system
again today anyway :slight_smile:

(I really dont want to set my computer aside to run all of the autotests with coverage enabled to get the full report.) I¢ve ran the script for
specific items before which worked wonderfully.

~3 hours here.

I had thoughts of creating a new “Good First Issue” for unit testing possibly listed in order of importance? I think unit tests aren’'t too hard for new folks to figure out.

We can use the command “python ./Tools/scripts/run_coverage .py -u” to update the coverage data, but this costs almost 20s, it’s a long time. We only care how many lines of code are executed, and don’t care which lines of code are executed. Can we skip some steps to reduce time?