Ardupilot Autonomous Aerobatics Update

We are at the developer conference 2023 - and presented our latest work on the autonomous aerobatics project - including dual (formation) autonomous aerobatics. For those interested, our presentation slides are here.

Lots of exciting additions to the aerobatics code - full trajectory following using quaternion navigation (no more gimbal lock), super simple maneuver definitions, and even simpler schedule assembly.

And of course the addition of dual formation aerobatics. Here we used two Yak 55 aircraft. Using a mesh network we pass progress along our defined path and in this way both aircraft remain in sync during the flight.

Here is a video of one of the first dual formation flights and a dual formation flight displayed in the plotter.

And, for the first time, dual autonomous aerobatics @ night!

For those interested the aerobatics presentation starts @ 3:07:25

9 Likes

Pretty interesting stuff.

I am a tree-dodging freestyle/racing quad pilot who became friends with a couple of scale flyers and since then I added two planes to the stable.

Those scale flyers also fly competition, and I think I can use the autonomous aerobatics well to help them with training. Set up a course, have them play a game of follow-the-leader.

Watching 100 scale flights is a great way of learning how the schedule should look from the groundā€¦ you can of course change the optional maneuvers to suit your own modelsā€¦ The example scale schedule on github is a great place to start!

1 Like

WOW! That is the COOLEST thing I have ever seen in this hobby! Well done.

3 Likes

The latest video demo is up

(it could be a repost of the one linked in the opening post)
and I strongly believe this would be a great demo at the next Avalon Airshow

2 Likes

That looks amazing :slight_smile:

any special sauce with the ā€œdicrecionalā€ gps antennas to maintain satelite lock inverted?

The aerobatics code works well with a ā€˜standardā€™ M8N - ardupilot is good at filing in the gaps :_)

Eventually the L5 GPSā€™s may give an even better result.

1 Like

This is so cool. Keep it up, guys !!!

This is amazing, huge congrats!!! I want to do it, how can I start?? Any doc to be readed about hardware setup, etc??
Thanks a lot!

Hereā€™s a link to the wiki section on autonomous aerobatics:
https://ardupilot.org/plane/docs/common-scripted-aerobatics-4.4.html

Thanks a lot, and for the dual? Is there any information?
Thanks again!

The dual aircraft option is built into plane_aerobatics.lua, and the only usage info (that I know of) is the description in this thread plus Tridgeā€™s talk about it at around 3:52 in the presentation here: https://youtu.be/8yXhSpkEKkY?t=13922

Thanks a lot!!! Do you know which model of autopilot is the most recomended for the aerobatics? IĀ“ve read somewhere that are the H7 or F7 basedā€¦
Regards

I think the H7 is bestā€¦ I believe that is because it has the highest performance and the most RAM.
Scripting tends to use a lot of RAM.

1 Like

Enjoying scripted aerobatics a lot. Could be tuned better but flying own defined sequence ok. (Sportsman sequence local to Japan.)

Log of this flight

Trying to define more sequences, deciphering current stall turn to define figure M but difficultā€¦ Snaproll will need to define more binding, no idea on spinā€¦

looks like it loses a little altitude on the horizontal double roll (0:50)?