Arducopter 4.0 Heli Testing Thread

I loaded 3.6.12 in my Trex 500, put the old param file in it and got it running. Set up the throttle with RC8 input instead of Setpoint, which I had been using in that heli.

I started up QGC 4.0 and did the upgrade to 4.0.3. Had to recal the accels for some reason. All the params scaled to the new settings correctly, the throttle worked on the first try, didn’t have to set anything.

So at least no problem detected in QGC. Don’t know if it would work, though, if a person upgraded to 4.0 using the older version of QGC. It would upgrade the firmware version, but the settings shown would not be correct as the ParameterFactMetaData xml’s are different between the two.

I had it same as your RSC config, it was set to RC Passthrough but it wouldnt respond to throttle (cyclic pitch lifted and lowered with throttle left stick up and down) but no output to motor from channel 8 (tied to knob) nor the throttle joystick (gimbal), power was just not being sent to thr motor. The knob is programmed in radio as chan8 for throttle and works when RSC is set to chan8 on the odler firmware.

I then take the same config and roll back to the earlier firmware (3.6.12) and it works fine with no changes so I am not what happened but I havent retried it yet again. It is flying so darn well on 3.6.12 that I am pushing it off until its needed.

Just a head’s up, still not working with the very latest firmware (4.0.2) and the latest GQC and it still has no throttle output from the RSC (channel 8). Only reverting back to the 3.6.12 firmware works again. The second I roll back and apply my default settings, it all works fine.

This was NOT an upgrade of 3.6.12 but a FULL firmware re-flash (I went to plane, then heli so it wiped the device). No options for the channel 8, and pass through came up by default but didnt do anything. In fact, I couldnt get throttle on anything but T-Curve. When I rolled back, it follows channel 8 and works fine.

@GROOVY1975 please send me a param file from 3.6 set up and then the param file once you upgrade to 4.0. That is the only way I can help you.

Can’t help until you send me a param file of the 4.0 install.

I understand (completely understand in fact and I knew this prior), and actually this was the intention of yesterday’s upgrade (the only purpose), however sometimes I am an idiot and my brain farts. This happened yesterday and instead of grabbing both params, I ended up just redoing the firmware and config back to 3.6.12. Sometimes I am a dumba$$ but I blame the craziness going on in the world right now. I am 30 minutes from NYC (I live in northern NJ so I live in the hot zone unfortunately), my company is in mid-town NYC and I work in mid-town NYC, we are losing clients by the minute so my mind is wandering. I already went through this once with 9/11 and now again with the damn virus killing off NYC. Flying my 600/700 helis is the only thing that calms my nerves so I didnt think it through enough to grab the param files before I fixed it and prepped it to fly today.

Also important to note, I am 100% perfectly fine with remaining on the older version of QGC (that fully supported the older firmware) along with only running the 3.6.12 firmware in both my 600/700 as they work flawlessly. I am/was only doing this to help out others so IDK when I will be going through the process again but I WILL GET both param files when I do. When I say “flawlessly”, I truly do mean flawless. They run perfectly under the older firmware so I am not really looking to improve this as I cannot imagine how it could be improved with a newer firmware but I do like to remain current. I also wanted help others so this was my original intention along with getting on the newer firmware/GQC.

1 Like