APM Planner vs Mission Planner

I am having stability issues with APM Planner. Is that the reccommended ground station application or should I be using Mission Planner? I have only tried to use APM Planner so far, and i am not having the best experience. I have tried it under the following scenario’s:

-On windows 7 system
-On ubuntu VM within Windows 7 system
-on ubuntu system
-on windows 7 VM under ubuntu

I probably launched it 25 times on windows 7 and it crashed at some point at least 1/2 the time.

I probably launched it 10 times on all the other scenarios and although a little more stable, still have frequent crashes.

Is this a common thing? What is the best/preferred/most tested version that we should be using? Is there a minimum hardware configuration that should be followed?

Any guidance would be helpful - thanks in advance

@mtndewdewd,
I have both on my Windows 8.1 laptop and they both run fine for me, though, at the moment, I generally use MP.
Regards,
TCIII GM

Mission Planner is recommended for Windows. APM Planner is recommended for Mac

Which version are you using?

Please give the latest daily build a try here firmware.diydrones.com/Tools/APM … 014-06-26/ and let us know how you get on.

Thx

[quote=“billbonney”]Which version are you using?

Please give the latest daily build a try here firmware.diydrones.com/Tools/APM … 014-06-26/ and let us know how you get on.

Thx[/quote]

I was using the version linked on the main site assuming it was the most “stable” and “supported”. I will try the latest beta build and see how it goes.

Are the functions identical between the 2 versions (MP v. APM Planner) and as functions are added are they added to both?

Thx again.

[quote=“billbonney”]Which version are you using?

Thx[/quote]

After upgrading the app comes up fine, but will no longer connect to the SITL.

Try this release firmware.diydrones.com/Tools/APM … 014-06-27/

I’ll test the SITL later to make sure its not something broken. Thx