APM Planner is a total failure for me

So I scratch-built an arducopter. Now I want to fly it.

I downloaded APM Planner 2.0 (Mac version) and successfully loaded the firmware to my APM 2.6 module.

Then I went for “Initial Setup” and found only 2 buttons were available on the setup screen. I found a couple of other posts describing a similar situation. Their suggestion: use Windows.

So I bought Windows 7 and installed it on my Mac.

I then downloaded and installed APM Planner 2.0 (PC version) and fired it up.

The app began to build the UI. Then it stopped with the UI incomplete. Then I got a debug window stating I had an unhandled exception in module KERNELBASE.dll.

I tried several things to get past this problem but was not successful.

So both the Mac and PC apps are broken for me and I am not flying.

HELP!

Gary

For Mac, you’ll need to connect using the Connect button in the top right of the screen, the two buttons will then disappear and be replaced by the configuration options. If you click on the white boxes next to the connect button, you can chnage the baud rate and port to the correct ones. It should be usbmodeXXXX e.g. usbmodem1411 and the baud is 115200

As I said in my original post, I can connect fine to the APM. I’ve installed firmware several times.

The 2 buttons just never go away no matter what I’ve tried.

Gary

The connection for installing firmware and connecting to talk to the APM are different behaviours.

If the connect button in the top left is set to the same device id as when you flashed the firmware and is at 115200 baud, but you are getting no telemetry information, it’s probably a HW fault on the board. Connect using the terminal feature and see what the output messages are on boot.

[quote=“billbonney”]The connection for installing firmware and connecting to talk to the APM are different behaviours.

That was the info I needed. I’ve now succeeded with the USB connection.

Thanks.

Gary