APM Planner 2 OR Mission Planner?

I have two basic questions.

1. From the following two statements I concluded that “APM Planner 2.0” is more advanced compared to “Mission Planner”… is that correct?
    “APM Planner 2.0 is the offspring of Mission Planner and QGround Control, combining the simple user interface of Mission Planner and cross platform capability of QGround Control.”
    “Mission Planner is a full-featured ground station application for the APM open source autopilot project.”

2. Which version of APM:Plane is used to compile latest release of APM Planner 2.0… is it APM:Plane-3.1.1 (ArduPlane-3.1.1)?
    What about Mission Planner… which version of APM:Plane it is compiled with?

I want to use ArduPlane-3.1.1 because of Kalman filter feature for a fixed-wing with Pixhawk, but couldn’t decide between APM Planner 2.0 and Mission Planner. It seems MP is much simpler and easy to use… but what is the core difference?

APM Planner 2.0 works with the current versions of ArduCopter (3.+) and ArduPlane (3.x+) Using EKF should also work, but if there are some tuning parameter screens that need extra controls for EKF we can add them easily.
Mission Planner has some more advanced features, but you can use both successfully depending on your requirements. Since they are both free to download, you can experiment which works for. Please let us know your experiences.
Thanks