APM:Plane 3.0.0 released

[quote=“tridge”]yes, the 2nd GPS goes on the port marked “Serial4/5”. It uses the same sort of cable as the primary GPS.
You also need to set the GPS_TYPE2 parameter to 1, meaning “auto”. The default is not to look for a secondary GPS.
The second GPS shows up in both mavlink and dataflash logs. I haven’t tested to see if MissionPlanner shows the track of the 2nd GPS. Does someone want to test that?
Note that if the 2nd GPS is a combined GPS+MAG, then don’t connect the mag. We currently only support one external compass (plus the one builtin to the board).
Cheers, Tridge[/quote]

Tridge and others interested in dual GPS,

I have now got the second GPS in business. Connected it to the serial 4 port, i.e. pin 2 and 3 on the serial 4/5 port connector.

In my bench tests MP reports NO GPS in the combination PFD instrument view, and no GPS data (I connected the second GPS alone, no primary GPS) in the status tab, except for GPS time which seems to get updated. Still MP seems to display the aircraft map position reported from the secondary GPS.

Running the terminal mode GPS test returns the values being reported from the secondary GPS.

To sum it up - seems to do its job but Mission Planner needs an update on the GPS presentation.
/ Tom

Oh, and I am using a 3DR uBlox LEA6 v1.1 GPS as secondary. Had to hack the connectors / cable to make it hook up to the Pixhawk.
I am on the most recent MP version, as per auto update.
Firmware 3.0.2

PS. Just added an issue on the tracker about MP/ NO GPS display.

[quote=“tridge”][quote=“Icarus”]
One of the features I was really looking forward to using in the new FW release was the ability to update FW via telemetry radios. Well I tried it today and the process gets timed out every time.
[/quote]
Which firmware are you trying to update via radio?
You can’t update the autopilot firmware over a radio. You can update radio firmware over a USB link to your autopilot (so autopilot forwards the serial link to your air radio)
Cheers, Tridge[/quote]
Hello Tridge,
I must have misunderstood the release notes for 3.0.0. I thought they stated that the FW will be able to updated over the modem radio. If I understand you correctly, you are saying only the modem radio FW can be updated through an air link NOT the Pixhawk FW?
Thanks

I can’t seam to find the write-up on how to set up dual magnetometers. Is there some sort of dual calibration procedure or what?

[quote=“RC Mike”]I can’t seam to find the write-up on how to set up dual magnetometers. Is there some sort of dual calibration procedure or what?

.[/quote]

I see that there are now 2 sets of compass parameters in the mission planner. There is no documentation in the MP or any other place that I can find and I don’t see any parameter or documentation on how to turn on both. Please help.

Installed 3.0.0 from 2.72 on amp 2.5. Using APM Planner on Mac os Mavericks.

After install checked basic parameters like RTL altitude etc. Also set mode stabilize and confirmed correct throws on the control surfaces. I didn’t check auto until I had it in the air…However in auto or rtl it goes full throttle and down elevator. nice combo eh? That made for a interesting couple seconds!! Got the plane home and I can’t for the life of me figure out why it’s doing that. In 2.72 putting it in auto didn’t do much on the ground I recall that was a safety feature as it wouldn’t throttle up if it didn’t see any ground speed. So to see it go full throttle and down just sitting on my workbench is a surprise. But I have looked at every single param I can think of and no use. I tried to recalibrate the radio several times. Sometimes with the reverse checked sometime not. It makes no difference. I wish I had a tlog but I also tried ‘set to defaults’ in the advanced params and it seems to have removed the file? hmm at any rate I can’t find it.

If anybody could help me get 3.0.3 working I would be greatly appreciative!!

I’m guessing that you had your transmitter throttle stick on a high position when you changed mode. If so, the controller will pitch down and throttle up trying to hit your FBW max airspeed. Of course it could be many other things. You’d need to provide a dataflash log to really diagnose it.

I think I found out both the throttle and elevator were reversed. I’m not %100 though …I swapped out the amp 2.5 for a pixhawk. I thought if it seemed to correctly move the elevator in stabilize mode it meant it wasn’t backwards in guided mode. I guess not ???

Is there anything I need to do to get Dual Compasses working on the Pixhawk?
The wiki says COMPASS_EXTERNAL it is automatic.
When I boot up with the external compass plugged in, it is the one working. If I hot unplug it to simulate a failure of the external mag, I get the Bad Compass Health warning which is nice, but the internal compass fails to take over. I can confirm this by waving a powerful magnet around and seeing no heading change. I can also see this using the compass test on the CLI. If I reboot the Pixhawk without the external compass attached, the internal works normally.
I’m on Plane 3.0.2.
How do I get redundant mags?

[quote=“iskess”]Is there anything I need to do to get Dual Compasses working on the Pixhawk?
The wiki says COMPASS_EXTERNAL it is automatic.
When I boot up with the external compass plugged in, it is the one working. If I hot unplug it to simulate a failure of the external mag, I get the Bad Compass Health warning which is nice, but the internal compass fails to take over. I can confirm this by waving a powerful magnet around and seeing no heading change. I can also see this using the compass test on the CLI. If I reboot the Pixhawk without the external compass attached, the internal works normally.
I’m on Plane 3.0.2.
How do I get redundant mags?[/quote]

We definitely need some detailed instructions on how to do this and also dual compass. It seams that new features are being introduced faster than they are being documented. It’s very frustrating when you have some nice new features and no clue how to make it work?

I also tried to get Dual Mags working and was unable to figure out how to calibrate them. I think the Mission Planner needs to be updated to accommodate dual magnetometer and dual compass calibrations.

Bravo APM Team and good work. Congrats on APM:Plane 3.0.0 released. We will have a try on it and post reviews here.
Dennis & Team.

[quote=“dennis123”]Bravo APM Team and good work. Congrats on APM:Plane 3.0.0 released. We will have a try on it and post reviews here.
Dennis & Team.[/quote]
That was 4 month ago. 3.1.0 got released since
diydrones.com/m/blogpost?id=7058 … %3A1761421

[quote=“badzz”][quote=“dennis123”]Bravo APM Team and good work. Congrats on APM:Plane 3.0.0 released. We will have a try on it and post reviews here.
Dennis & Team.[/quote]
That was 4 month ago. 3.1.0 got released since
diydrones.com/m/blogpost?id=7058 … %3A1761421[/quote]

Thanks for the update mate…

hi
Im new to this forum and apm, I cannot seem to get flight modes switch to move after calibrating radio, have beenfollowing tutorials on you tube and some of the option seen on you tube mission planner just do not show up on my version, I get no choice to set flight modes, give on setting on a 3 position switch and no “simple or super simple” checkboxes.
Can anybody advise me where im going wrong?
have done accel calibration, compass and radio calibration and all seem to be ok