APM 2.8 waypoint flying

Hello All,

This is my first post so apologies if its a well known question: I built a tri-copter many moons ago and used a KKK controller which worked perfectly, i am know building a quad based around a 450 frame and the APM 2.8 controller. I have installed APM planner onto my MAC and am about to download the firmware to the APM. I read somehere that Release 3.2 is best for the APM 2.8 ? so was wondering if this is correct. I have a number of operational questions so heres number 1.

I can see in APM planner how to set and download waypoints to the APM, i have a spektrum DX7 and see that i can set different flight modes to the 3 position switch. What im not sure about is if i want to fly waypoints do i still select a flight mode and can i abandon waypoint flying at any time and select a different mode.

Cheers
Andy

Andy,

You could either choose Auto while on ground or take off using other mode (Stabilize, AltHold,…) and then switch to Auto.
As well, while flying Auto you can revert to any other mode you have configured in your transmitter.

For a more detailed explanation please read the Copter Wiki Auto Flight Mode page
copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/auto-mode/

Thankyou i will do some studying

Would you recommend version 3.2

Thanks
Andy

Hi Andy,

From copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common … -overview/

Warning:
The APM2.6 board is no longer supported for Copter. From Copter 3.3 firmware (and later) no longer fits on APM boards. The last firmware builds that can be installed (AC v3.2.1) can be downloaded from here: APM2.x and APM 1.0.

I am currently flying Copter 3.2.1 on an F450 and am very happy with it.
However APM platform is being abandoned in favor of Pixhawk :frowning:

excellent thank you