APM 2.8 com port error

Hi there, I have bought an apm 2.8 recently and also downloaded the latest mission planner. However, when I connected by apm 2.8 to my laptop, it doesn’t appear on my device manager or mission planner. However there is LED light turned on my apm 2.8.

My laptop is however able to read a pixhawk 2.4.8 in the COMS port. I am using a Lenovo p1gen2 windows 10. Is my apm faulty or has this got to do with driver issues?
I really need help regarding this. Any form would be deeply appreciated

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to the Forum.
APM boards are long outdated and are no longer supported. Hence no surprise in regards to your problem.
However, I still have an APM and after trying to connect it again (for first time in a long time ) I also had connection issues in Windows. Yet in Ubuntu (Linux) it connects fine.
The reason for that is in Windows you need a driver in order to communicate with a USB device, in Linux mostly not required.
Windows applies various security updates during the year. As a consequence it would appear the old driver for the APM board is outdated and the Windows system won’t allow it anymore. …hence you can’t successfully connect using Windows.

I fixed it by finding an updated driver. But this took me hours. But it is only a matter of time before yet another Security update stops this driver too.
Not much of a problem for me as I usually don’t use Windows anyway.

Hope this is of some help.

Hello, thank you for your input. May I know what driver you are using?
Also I do understand the situation about outdated drivers. As seen from YouTube explanations, the device-apm 2.8 will appear on device managers just that it is unrecognised and requires additional drivers to be installed.
The problem I am facing now is that, my apm 2.8 is not even appearing on my device managers. So even if I were to update my drivers, my laptop doesn’t even recognise that there is such a device connected to it.
So I’m not sure if this is a faulty apm.

Hi Kevin,

see answer to your questions in private posts in reply to your private message.

can you please share the driver in the public forum for the benefit of other users like @Shamir_Kevin who are facing similar issues!

The driver is installed along with mission planner, you generally don’t have to install it separately. If the flight controller is doing nothing when connected to windows with no hardware connected noise and no devices in device manager then its a hardware problem, usually the cable, usb port or a dead flight controller.

Here was my original message over a year ago.
(Not sure how relevant it is now)

Here is one link that describes driver installation - please not there are apparently two different versions available for Windows10.

vtwood – 12 Nov 17

how to install arduino mega 2560 drivers on windows 10 and windows 7 also

This how to Blog Post will tell you how to install arduino mega 2560 drivers for windows 10, windows 7 and

I believe there has been also an updated driver package somewhere for arducopter. This contains an additional driver to allow communication with the APM board as the first one may only allow Windows to recognize the board but not necessarily communicate with it. - Not sure as it has been a few years and as mentioned hasn’t been officially supported for years now.

hi buddy i have the same issue . have got the solution and also if u got please mail me and help me in dilemma

bro my arducopter is not showing in window 11 althought all lights are working. also my esc get super heated . yesterday i was able to arm the hexacopter but now it is not arming. i tried to reconnect all the connection and now stll same issue earlier i was not able to arm it now esc are heating instantly.