APM 2.6 LiPo Battery Issues

I am using a LiPo 3 Cell battery and APM 2.6.

When I try to power on the APM using a usb cable, it powers on with the LEDs flashing. When I hook it up to the 3DR power module and the LiPo battery, the LEDs don’t flash and I’m not sure if the APM powered on.

Is there something I’m missing? I heard something about needing JP1 to be soldered to complete the circuit required for the APM to receive power but am unsure.

@JAdame,
Please read and follow this APM Wiki concerning powering the APM: http://plane.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-powering-the-apm2/
If you are powering the APM with a Power Module, then you do not want J1 installed.
Are you sure that your Power Module is a 3DR Power Module and not a clone? Many of the clone Power Modules do not actually provide 5 vdc to the APM even though they say they do.
Regards,
TCIII AVD

It’s a copy but I checked the Power Module with a voltmeter and it does provide the stated voltage. I read something about having to complete the circuit if I have JP1 open. I have to connect the ESCs to the APM to close the circuit and cause the APM to get power? Can you confirm something like this?

@JAdame,
The ArduPilot Wikis are the authority on powering the APM from the PM.
With J1 open the PM will only power the APM, GPS/Compass, telemetry radio, and several other low current components, however not the servo output power bus. The PM is not designed to power the servo output power bus.
You will have to provide a BEC to power the servo output power bus.
Regards,
TCIII AVD

On the wiki, if JP1 is open it says I need to attach the ESCs to the output board. My ESCs cone with the 3 connector wires so they do have their own BEC, no?

@JAdame,
Yes, ESCs usually have built-in BECs that can supply 1 amp or more.
You should check the specs on your ESC to see how much current it can supply for servo operation.
Regards,
TCIII AVD

Still didn’t work out. Is there a troubleshooting method I could use to determine if it’s a problem on the PM end or the Ardupilot end? The board works perfectly fine with a micro USB power supply attached to it but it never did with the PM.

If your not using a power module your need jp1 in place to power the rest of the board iirc