APM 2.6 and GPS Performance in Sub-Zero weather

Are there any issues with the operation of the APM 2.6 FC’s or GPS units in really cold weather (like -10 to +20 deg F)? I know on other systems like the old HoverFly I had to run a temp. calibration, and it was suggested to let the system equilibrate to whatever operational temp you were running in before flying. If you took your multirotor from a nice warm house to outside where it was below freezing, the accelerometers and gyro’s didn’t seem to like that very much. On my very first GAUI 330X (anyone remember those) I had a “freeze out” at around 200ft, at least that is my only explanation from several years ago.

Any one have experience and/or issues in the cold with APM?

I would look at the data sheets for your GPS, IMU and Barometer used on your APM. They usually list operating temperatures. From reports of people using their multicopters in cold weather, batteries are usually the culprit that comes up. Lipos don’t like to be charged or used in extreme cold. I would think if you could charge and store them at relatively warm environment and then when they are discharged outside they will keep themselves warm.

Flight today in sub-freezing weather (22 deg F) without any issues. I let the quad acclimate for about 5 min outside (from its 70 deg home) before any powering up. Flew in stabilize, alt hold and loiter several sequences and no issues at all. Noticed the 4S 5800 lipo seemed to drop voltage significantly quicker than normal under load via telemetry, however cell 2 in the pack has not been charging as well lately so may just be old and tired rather than cold related. I did however have the pack on the quad during the acclimate time…maybe a combination of the two.

Not sure if the acclimation is needed, but I figured better to do than not as I have not seen any temp calibration info out there for APM or Pixhawk.

So good so far…another 20 degree temp drop will be a good next test.

[quote=“jarlt”]Are there any issues with the operation of the APM 2.6 FC’s or GPS units in really cold weather (like -10 to +20 deg F)? I know on other systems like the old HoverFly I had to run a temp. calibration, and it was suggested to let the system equilibrate to whatever operational temp you were running in before flying. If you took your multirotor from a nice warm house to outside where it was below freezing, the accelerometers and gyro’s didn’t seem to like that very much. On my very first GAUI 330X (anyone remember those) I had a “freeze out” at around 200ft, at least that is my only explanation from several years ago.

Any one have experience and/or issues in the cold with APM?[/quote]

-17c apm2.52 fly alt500m gps alt1250

That is great, looks like you will need to get some deicer for your next flight. Any prop balance issues noticeable with the ice up? I know on large multirotor props like 16" or up that can be an issue.

I’ve done plenty of flying in weather down to -10C without any issues. As others have said, you need to let it acclimate. I normally leave it outside for 5-15 minutes. Now, if you really want to be sure, the best thing to do is leave it outside to get cold. Then plug it in and let the electronics warm back up about 5 minutes. Then reboot quickly, and go fly. The makes sure the gyros are at operating temp when it does the calibration.