Anybody else actually using an Edison on board? Having issues

I received my unit last week - finally. Pretty impressive quality and a good selection of included accessories. The hex screws on the bottom cover could go away however, now that I’ve had to get into this thing several times.

Setup:
Hex Running 3.5 RC3, SF11 Lidar, PX4Flow, 6S, Mauch Power, Cube w/ Edison Base and Here GPS.

ANYWAY - so last weekend, I get everything setup, install the Edison, install APSync. Go to connect USB to the Cube and it just clicks (audible) and flashes a couple of times. So I connected the battery then connected to USB and could connect through Mission Planner.
I loaded up Copter 3.5 RC3. Started all the calibrations…seemed slow. Started compass calibration (on unit) and it took me about 45 mins to finally get though it. During the process, I got a couple of “NO SDCARD” messages flashing up.

I managed to get everything going, all tweaked and took it for a spin. Seemed fine.

Now it’s a week later, I figured I’d send it up tonight. Power it up, let it boot - hit safety switch. When I go to arm it doesn’t spin up and in a second or two disarms - locks - no telemetry and I cannot connect.
Tried multiple times and ways. Checked all connections etc. Couldn’t get it to go…and it just got worse until it would lock shortly after boot.

I took it all apart and reseated everything - still the same.

Finally I yanked the Edison and everything worked. Now it’s raining so I can’t fly it but it does arm and spin motors, and doesn’t lock.

So there appears to be some sort of issue, at least with my setup.

I made a dump of all logs here: CubeLogs

Power is a real issue for these boards. That “clicking” you heard is often a sign of insufficient power.

I find plugging it into a chunky wall-wart makes things reliable here.

I would definitely continue to experiment with different powering arrangements.

Peter

With all the sensors you have plugged in I’m hoping you are not plugging in anything to telemetry port 2 if you are that could be problem Edison is using telemetry 2

No : ) Everything but the FrSky telem cable (currently plugged into the GPS2 - another issue I’m about to post on) and the Sik are I2C and powered with a separate supply where I can.

I wound up using a powered USB hub but it still wasn’t enough to boot though the cube (with the edison). Std USB boots fine without the Edison.

I am running an Edison with here rtk and second m8n. Telemetry to gcs through the Edison and frsky telemetry through telemetry 1 port. Works perfectly every time. The only issue is wifi range, switched to an external antenna version with a slight improvement but still very short range, 100 meters or so. I also have a large hex flying with a P2, TX1 telemetry and video through telemetry 2 and frsky telemetry on telemetry 1

RB

Thanks Randy. I’m posting a kind of “here’s my Pixhawk 2 Build experience thing”.

I did however get this worked out, it appears it was EKF3 on the 3.5RC builds.

Khmmm…and the answer to your question is;no,almost no one is using it,just wear it as a fancy necklace…