Any good VTX running 1.2-1.3ghz?

Anyone has any good brand for VTX? I looking for one with 1.2-1.3ghz. Reliable brand with range. Long range.

I just got a Matek VTX and VRX in the mail a few days ago. I’ll test them soon.

The VTX is from GetFPV and appears to be a US-specific 2-channel model (1258 MHz, 1280 MHz) but the VRX is the “international” 9-channel model, containing channels at 40 MHz spacings, only sharing 1280 MHz (even though both are made by Matek).

I don’t know how much bandwidth the signal from the VTX occupies yet (I will have to do some bench testing and measurements with either one of my SDR devices – probably my SDRPlay RSPduo).

They both came with “V dipoles”, which are small PCB dipoles soldered to a short piece of coax and terminated with a standard SMA connector. Looks like the VRX will need to be wired up to or into something else which accepts a composite video signal.

I’m imagining that, in it’s stock configuration, the range and quality will far exceed the 5.8 GHz stuff, for both the fact that it’s at a much lower frequency and the spectrum is much, much quieter in most areas. Just gotta make sure you’re displaying your amateur radio callsign in the video feed, and it might not be a bad idea to look for a small APRS beacon to throw in your setup as well, so it can beacon out its location and let operators in the area know that your UAV is transmitting analog video in the 23cm band.

And beyond the stock setup, as an amateur radio operator, you can buy/build a TX amplifier up to 1,500 watts here in the US (though 2-10W would be more practical in a UAV) and of course buy/build more ideal antenna systems on both ends.

Hopefully I’ll be able to start some basic testing soon; I’ll try to keep you updated.

1 Like

Strangely when I visit their official site, its stated as discontinued

The Matek VTX has been EOL for awhile. Old stock at distributors still around I suppose.

1 Like

Yeah, I noticed that as well.

I’m thinking you’re correct, and I should probably buy at least 5 “spare” VTXs for other models or rainy days.

I have had terrible weather lately, so I may just test the VTX in a “bench” setup this week.