An Open Source Frsky Telemetry Script for the Horus X10,X12 and Taranis X9D,X9E and QX7 radios

I received a request from Craft&Theory to change the way the altitude and vertical speed hud boxes looked in the Taranis versions of the script, the fix was kind of trivial and I must say I like it better the way it is now.

The look of the Taranis versions is now more in line with the look of the Horus version,

cheers

Alex.

Are you kidding?
Omg!

Yeah, I’ll bite my tongue about the way C&T has gone about their business since they started.

1 Like

damn you @yaapu, now I have to sell everything else get a Horus!!!

1 Like

Join the Club @fnoop:joy:

I guess our only solution is to DMCA everything that @yaapu develops, that will save us some anxiety…

1 Like

exploring new layouts…

both batteries reached level 1 alert

notes and questions…

• [N] I added gps coordinates because when the script is running it’s not possible to switch to another telemetry page
  • [Q]: is the actual time next to the label flighttime misleading? Since you cannot exit from the script I imagined that it would be useful to display it

thanks for the feedback

1 Like

Consider using “TimeFlying” or “TimeInAir.” The global time should be elsewhere - maybe at the top center so that it’s not confused.

This is my opinion, but I would like to see a larger HUD - it’s the “primary” instrument referenced for errors. If C&T thinks you’re infringing on their rights, use a “russian” HUD where the lines move instead of the horizon. I also use the “hash” marks on the top of most HUD’s to get a fairly accurate measurement of bank angle - so if it’s easy to add them, they make it look nice.

I also don’t see a need for the frame type to be displayed - It shouldn’t be changing in flight, right?

Excellent work though! I’m excited to begin trying this out soon!

also don’t think frame type is needed.

i prefer the compass ribbon vs compass rose.

time of day next to flight time is a bit misleading.

overall, it does look good in color.

1 Like

Hi Nathan,
I’ll move the global/current time up on the top bar, I agree it’s a more natural position.
The frametype, like the model name it’s a redundant information, not needed, that I like to have. It sure doesn’t change during flight,but at par with flight mode is nevertheless sent as telemetry info from the flight controller.

Hud size is another story, no C&T copyright issues on the Horus, it’s just a performace problem.
I started testing with very large HUDs it was fine on companion but on a real radio was too slow, so slow that there was risk to skip/miss telemetry packets.
Lua lcd primitives are really limited, I’m working on it but I don’t see much room for improvements…

thanks for the feedback

Hi Coby,
ribbon vs rose is really a personal thing, I was looking for a way to speed things up, the rose is lighter on cpu than the ribbon!

thanks for the feedback

From my point of view this script should not be confused with a HUD in it’s pure form: it’s a telemetry monitoring script more like a cockpit than a HUD
While the Horus is limited on the lcd performance it has room for telemetry advanced functions such alarms, logging, vocal and visual feedback:I’d rather focus on improving these aspects!

cheers

i do think the rose is easier to understand with a quick glance. not a big deal to me.

i actually do not see much of a need for the artificial horizon on the radio but bet i could get flamed for that point of view. just seems like eye candy to me. if you are flying FPV with goggles you can’t see it, and if you need it you likely have an OSD. if you are flying missions than you would need a GCS anyway, which also has the HUD. seems like taranis telemetry info is good for:

1. preflight checks
  2. in flight audible alerts for goggle and non goggle users
  3. in flight textual/graphical info for non goggle users

that seems to point to

1. stabilization system status: imu/ekf
  2. navigation system status/info: gps/baro/compass
  3. power system status/info: v/a/rpm/etc
  4. mission status: flight mode, waypoint

since i have not flown with any taranis telemetry at this point that is just a wild guess. looking forward to helping to test this out on a horus so i can find out myself. really like the work you are doing for the community!

Regarding the compass rose vs ribbon, I’m actually a fan of the rose much more than the ribbon, however I would like to say that the rose could use a bit more “detail” to gather a more accurate track from. I liked the arrow where it used to be, and maybe a slightly larger rose with more hash marks/smaller letters. I would also hope that the value is showing track and not heading (or maybe it’s selectable between the two).

I fly fixed-wing a lot, so a wind indicator would be very useful to include as a part of the directional indicator (compass rose). I’m not sure what that will take.

stabilization system status: imu/ekf
navigation system status/info: gps/baro/compass
power system status/info: v/a/rpm/etc
mission status: flight mode, waypoint

@Coby unfortunately the protocol right now is missing some of the info you (and I) would like to display: imu/ekf and waypoints are not sent down the frsky link, so there’s no way to display them even if I wanted to!

But the protocol can evolve, these features are already in my personal wishlist :slight_smile:

Regarding the compass rose vs ribbon, I’m actually a fan of the rose much more than the ribbon, however I would like to say that the rose could use a bit more “detail” to gather a more accurate track from. I liked the arrow where it used to be, and maybe a slightly larger rose with more hash marks/smaller letters. I would also hope that the value is showing track and not heading (or maybe it’s selectable between the two).

I admit the rose was quite poor in detail, it was an experiment :slight_smile:

It would be nice to show track vs heading but no waypoint info on the frsky protocol so for now only heading is viable.
I’ll add you to the list of testers.

When I mean track, I mean the ground track - not necessarily tied to any waypoint, just the true direction that is being flown. That way I don’t “point” toward home but get blown off course by a crosswind.

@Naterater

Better 4u to check the protocol of what is sent on the telemetry link.

The two most important bits of information I used on the old teensy telemetry display was the battery voltage, and the heading indicator. This was a fixed NSEW diagram with an arrow that rotated and moved according to the relative position and direction the craft was heading/pointing. You could recover the craft alone with this information even when it was beyond the distance you can see which way it is pointed.

1 Like

it’s awesome. i have x10s . can i join beta test?

Hey Alex, I just want to say that mate for this script and I now have it working on my Taranis X9d plus.

I am not a computer programmer by any stretch of the imagination mate, but I can problem solve and will research and find the answers to something until I am blue in the face and work it out.

I installed the necessary folders and files onto the sd card of the Taranis while out of the Tx while being inserted into my p.c.

I did have to do the following as you described in one of your previous post " also make sure the radio is not trying to compile the script: remove the yaapu9.lua file and only leave the yaapu9.luac one.
If the script does not start then try to rename yaapu9.luac in yaapu9.lua.

I had reports that sqt5font needs to be unchecked for memory hungry scripts to work"

Is there only 1 screen of information for your script on the Taranis x9d plus? because if I go to setup a second screen with the Telemetry information it comes up with the message " Script Panic not enough memory" I still have all the information that was on the sd card prior to installing you script.

Many thanks again,

Cheers Dave.