An Open Source Frsky Telemetry Script for the Horus X10,X12 and Taranis X9D,X9E and QX7 radios

Hello Fred,

I think I have the same problem.

I have FrSky Taranis X9D+ and X8R yaapu telemetry works as expected.

I also have a setup with R9M (latest FLEX firmware - FW_Ranger9_TX_FLEX_20190117) on Taranis X9D+ and R9Slim+ (latest FLEX Firmware - FW_Ranger9_RX_FLEX_20190201) where ArduPilot messages are shown and telemetry updates during startup, but yaapu telemetry stops afterwards. Sensor values are not updated with this R9 setup at Yaapu screen. Radio and SBUS commands are working perfectly.

Did you find any solution to that? Do you think using non-FLEX firmware will work?

I don’t know yet. I have to do more tests.

Hi,
did you also try with firmware version 190201?

Edit: oops, disregard, I did not read fully your message

Hi Colin take care and best of luck with your appointment, no hurry here :+1:

Hi Alex, that is firmware I have installed on R9Slim+.

I have been trying to find a solution to that problem for over 3 weeks now. I tried almost everything that I could find on the internet.

Finally I have contacted FrSky, and waiting for an answer. :wink:

i have test it with flex and non flex on my X9D R9 R9M R9Slim same issue with or with out yaapu running
it has to be a issue with the way ArduPilot passthrough and Frsky talk on the smart port

Hi,
could it be the power setting?

I use flex on 868Mhz @100mW, I did not try @1W.
I’m testing with OpenTX 2.2.3 on an Horus X10.
R9 Firmware is RX_FLEX_20190201 and TX_FLEX_20190117.

No issues here after running a couple hours on the bench.

I am running a Cube on plane 3.9.8 Chibios

Hi Alex,

I have Taranis R9D+ and “opentx-x9d±ppmus-noheli-lua-luac-flexr9m-en-2.2.3” fiwmware is installed and OTX Bootloader - 2.2.2.

I have experimented with both frequencies and all power levels using latest Flex firmware on both R9M and R9Slim+, with no success.

Persistent behaviour is that I can see telemetry messages coming when I power up RX, sometimes not all of them. And sometimes yaapu screen values are updated 5-10 seconds then telemetry is lost.

No solution so far for R9 setup, but X8R works like charm.

Thanks for the good work. :+1:

1 Like

Well did some testing with the logic analyzer using saleae logic i did 3 test
2-flvs-gas-suite-passthrough.logicdata ( 2 FLVSS gps and current working )
3-flvs-gas-suite-passthrough.logicdata ( 3 FLVSS gps and current stop working after 30 sec )
3-flvs-gas-suite-Teensy 3.1.logicdata ( 3 FLVSS gps and current working fine )
logic test frsky-passthrough.zip (130.4 KB)

I have been using the R9 Slim+ (bought on December 2018 and with no updates yet, used as it arrived) and I have never lost the telemetry at all. SInce I’m in Europe, it goes at 433MHz and I use at 25mW (higher power won’t transmit telemetry) and I use upgraded T antennas.

I’ll check the actual version installed when I have the chance, but I think I’ll won’t update it for now :slight_smile:

I checked your captures and I cannot decode them right.
I can open them in Salea Logic, I can see the traces with correct timings, but the decoded values do not match with a frsky telemetry stream, I get warnings about framing errors, so something is not right.
In the settings for the decoder I don’t see a way to specify it’s a half duplex capture.
I do not use the Salea suite so it can very well be my fault.
Anyway what I can tell is that the problem is the timings with 3 flvss

this is the teensy

this is ardupilot

there’s something wrong, but without decoding the stream I cannot say what’s causing it!

Maybe somebody with a better knowledge of Logic can jump in and help us decode it!

This is how I set it up

What capture software do you use ?

I use USBee AX for clone devices, but my analyzer (and yours too) should work with sigrok and pulseview as well, we could try with that one!

Edit: This is how it should look like. It’s an attitude packet 0x5006

Edit with pulseview you should configure the decoder like this

Well did some testing with the logic analyzer using pulseview
3-flvs-gas-suite-tenceey-pulseview.zip (13.4 KB)

unfortunately I get the very same results as with logic, with frame errors in the same spots

We must be missing something obvious perhaps in the way you capture this data :thinking:

i have looked and looked got me beat :bowing_man:

if theses dont then i give up lol
i used Saleae Logic 1.2.18
logic test frsky-passthrough.zip (96.7 KB)

yes, this one looks ok :+1:

1 Like

i put longer leads moved it out of the plane