An Open Source Frsky Telemetry Script for the Horus X10,X12 and Taranis X9D,X9E and QX7 radios

Otherwise, everything worked in the script as I’d expect. I even enabled current measuring on the battery monitor. And it correctly discounts the amp-hours used during preflight when the engine isn’t running - shows a slight amp draw. As soon as I start the engine the amp draw goes to zero and that all works fine. Excellent as a monitor for the generator to make sure it’s working.

I really couldn’t find anything wrong with it. I like it!

haha, good than stop searching :slight_smile:

not quite, flight time was still corrupted, now should be “really” ok :slight_smile:

Yeah. Just one value was missing off the seconds off the edge of the screen.

I was also going to change the precision for the Amps in the right panel to show 0.0 precision for my low-draw electrical system. But alas, the source code for this dual-window script is not in the zip! :grinning:

yeah, that’s because the x7 version is not ready yet and the source is shared

Thanks for sending me the source file! I changed the precision on the amps so I get a more meaningful reading for my low-draw piston engine system. I reduced the size of the battery % digits to SMLSIZE, moved that down one line and move the “%” symbol up one line.

Fits perfect.

100_0086

And now when I operate the cyclic and move the servos I get a more realistic amp reading. If that amp reading goes to zero with the engine running then it means the generator on the engine is working fine.

100_0087

Recompiled the script in Companion, loaded it on the SD, it works. This is perfect! Thanks!

I flew yesterday with cells displaying for 6S and everything was perfect.

@Naterater - Can you actually chain two FLVSS for 12S ? Is there any trace you can cut on the “7-12” unit ? Because if there ain’t, your FLVSS GND is common and wires will start melting once you connect the 2nd battery.

there actually is room on the right side to have 1 decimal for current even with the bigger fonts.
Now 1 decimal up to 10 Amps then switch to 0 decimals, thanks Chris for suggesting the change, I did not think of a use case with decimals on current.

No, I think you’re right. Although I stated 12s, I guess I really meant 2 x 6s that aren’t parallel balanced.

Yes it should be possible as long as you change the id, this works only with FLVSS and not the cheaper MLVSS.
I haven’t tried it myself but read many had success, such as Horus X10S 12S FLVSS Setup.. | Aloft Forums

Alex, that works excellent!

It is a fringe use-case will likely only be useful for piston or turbine engine helicopters or airplanes equipped with a generator to provide early detection of generator failure. Seeing it start to draw even a half amp in flight indicates there’s a problem because the generator is supposed to keep up with system load and maintain the batteries at 7.7V. It’s kind of like the ammeter in your car back when cars still had ammeters. If you see the needle on the discharge side, switch off your 2.5 megawatt stereo system to see if the alternator is still working or not :slight_smile:

Well, we can guess what is the next addition to @ChrisOlson Helicopters…
:rofl:

If the current draw is a good indication, why not start a voice notification when it reaches a pre-determined value, say 0.8A or something…

Ah, that would require a logic switch to keep the first officer (the Radio Girl) from complaining about it during pre-flight. Just the simple change Alex did to make it 0.1 precision fits perfectly, and lets the pilot decide if it’s normal or not. Like my turbine helicopter does not have a generator on it so it’s normal in-flight amp draw is about 4.7 amps.

2 Likes

Yeah, but is a good example of how many hours of simulated testing will never beat real world experience!

Thanks Alex,

Such a huge update/upgrade it will take me quite a while to get my head around it all. With a lot of luck I will report back in a month or two.

Hank,
the new version is a “drop in replacement” of the older one, if you had the current release working this new beta should “just work” :slight_smile:

cheers,

Alex

The new script just has an extra view that allows integration of extra FrSky sensors. Which is nice for helicopters or other combustion engine aircraft. The first view requires no different setup than before.

3 Likes

Great video Chris, thanks.

I could almost feel the weight of your heli from Italy :slight_smile:

QX7/X-Lite version is almost ready for testing

default view

dual battery view

mavlink to passthrough custom view

custom frsky sensors view

Hello my Name is Daniel, I’m new on this side and I need your help please. I’m sorry for my bad English. its a lot of years, when I was @school ;). Now my Question:

I programmed a Horus X12s and a Teensy with the right hex file. the Lua script starts great all sensors are found but not read. Most have an id the rest is running at id 0. On the Horus runs open TX 2.2.3 and on the Pixhawk runs ardupilot. My problem is that the sensors from the LUA script are not read out and the message comes lost sensor. I’m grateful for your help