Altitude stability with non-centering throttle stick

I’m working on a project where I have to use a controller without a centering throttle stick.

When doing simple manual flying in LOITER it seems to me that my test copter is less stable in altitude than when I use a controller with a centering throttle stick.

Once at the altitude I want to achieve, I bring the stick back towards center - keeping the copter at my desired altitude. Of course I don’t have any idea if I’ve set the stick to a PWM of 1500uS.

Are there any parameters that might help keep the altitude more stable? I don’t know if widening the dead-zone for the throttle channel might help - or something else.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions!

I have never used a centering stick. A mid throttle beep from the Tx is handy.

1 Like

Nor do I use a centering stick. My TX16S has an adjustable tactile “ratchet” feature that can be completely removed or made very prominent. I adjust it to a light amount of feedback, which helps keep the stick where I want it. (Technically, it also has spring centering that can be adjusted in or out - I prefer it disabled).

The default dead zone works for me, but I see no real downside to increasing it a bit, especially for use cases where loiter and altitude hold are the primary means of pilot controlled flight.

2 Likes

Alas - this project is about making a “budget” quad-copter and I’m using the $40 RadioMaster T8 Lite. It doesn’t have fancy features like beeping at center.