Airspeed sensor extension

Hello,

Is there any issue with putting the airspeed sensor inside of a planes frame and using an extension for only the top port to go outside of the plane?

Basically what I am trying to figure out, the static pressure sensor (holes on the sides) do they work fine when placed inside the aircraft, however, not covered? I would think this would be a better solution so a cross wind does not give false readings as it would be blowing directly into the side holes.

Is this true, or, is there a reason why the static sensor ports have to be in the free stream airflow?

Thank you

I’ve thought about doing the same thing. I believe this is not uncommon in full sized aircraft and I can’t see why it wouldn’t work. As long as the area you put it is not subject to high pressure or wind during flight.

Maybe try it and do an airspeed calibration while manually flying. See what kind of airspeed ratio factor you get. If it’s not out of the ballpark (something between 1.5 and 3 is normal I believe) then it is probably ok.

Let us know how you go

Ok cool,

I was thinking the same. It seems like it would only make the sensor more accurate since a cross wind won’t effect it’s readings if it is inside the frame.

I will try it shortly and see what the calibration comes up with.

We have the airspeed sensor mounted on the front of the plane and in shipping it has been damaged before, so using an extension is much easier to replace than the original tube as well.