Airmode not keeping quad stable for flips/rolls w/throttle low

Ok, so when using arming on a switch, airmode was active?

Sorry I have not use the switch arming but I have been meaning to reevaluate my arming procedures.

To explain what this does:

When you pull the throttle all the way to minimum, throttle wants all motors to go to minimum. Zero throttle, zero motors, zero thrust. But also zero roll, pitch and yaw.

If we want to control the aircraft in roll, pitch, and yaw while you have the throttle at zero we must give permission to the motor mixers to prioritise roll, pitch, and yaw over the throttle. We do this with ATC_THR_MIX_MAN. If we set it to 1 the aircraft can increase the thrust to hover thrust momentarily to control the other axis. If we set it to 2 we can use up to twice hover throttle to control the other axis.

So why do we set it to 0.1. This make it easy to land and prevents bounce caused by the aircraft aggressively pushing the first contact point back as it touches down. Instead the low throttle takes the athority away from roll and pitch letting the aircraft settle flat on the ground.

SAFETY FACTOR: This should always be set low during tuning. If an axis starts to oscillate on an aircraft with a low hover throttle and high ATC_THR_MIX_MAN, it can increase the thrust value above hover throttle and cause the aircraft to climb uncontrollably. During tuning you should make sure that hover throttle is set correctly or conservative low and ATC_THR_MIX_MAN = 0.1.

4 Likes

as long as ATC_THR_MIX_MAN value was set high .5-.9 then that would keep my quad somewhat stable even while throttle was down regardless of arming via a switch or arming with the throttle down yaw right command or using motor interlock

2 Likes

Thank you this thread has been A breath of fresh air,may be we need to have the ATC_THR_MIX_MAN on a switch then could use it like switching air mode on and off

1 Like

No, this is not the case.

Depending on your method of arming changes the behaviour of the aircraft at minimum throttle.

For example, the default arming with the yaw stick and throttle at zero does not stabilize the aircraft at zero throttle. As soon as your throttle goes into the dead band the motors drop to spin when armed and not stabilisation is done.

When the MOTOR INTERLOCK (32 option) is used the aircraft is stabilising at all times when the motors are running.

ATC_THR_MIX_MAN only changes how much power you give roll, pitch and yaw to stabilise when you are asking for low throttle. (zero throttle in Air Mode like arming)

1 Like

so

arming with switch + ATC_THR_MIX_MAN value > .1 = AIRMODE
default arming + MOTOR INTERLOCK + ATC_THR_MIX_MAN value > .1 = AIRMODE

default arming + ATC_THR_MIX_MAN value of .1 = NO AIRMODE
default arming + ATC_THR_MIX_MAN value > .1 = NO AIRMODE

is that correct?

Yes and

Anything with ATC_THR_MIX_MAN = 0.0 will feel like you don’t have airmode.

To get tight control in airmode you need to have ATC_THR_MIX_MAN set closer to 1.

The trade off with ATC_THR_MIX_MAN is:
Higher value:

• More control bandwidth for roll, pitch yaw
  • Tighter response to aggressive control input

Lower value:

• Danger of uncontrolled climb during pid instability
  • Bouncing on touch down
  • Difficulty landing on uneven surfaces
  • Aggressive control inputs can cause pulses in thrust

Based on the discussion I did this:

3 Likes

:clap:t4: beautiful! thank you!

1 Like

Did a brief flight with this. Works as advertised, which is great.

1 Like

does this mean it’s in the current beta now?
newer flown a beta so far but looking forward to do so

1 Like

It’s just a PR at the moment

1 Like

ok, but as I’m not familiar with firmware and commits - how could I get to know when this feature would be available?

btw is it a good idea to use a 3 pos switch to arm in the middle and airmode at the end?

So if you don’t want to build it yourself you would need to wait for the PR to get merged and then pick up one of the nightly builds. Of course the PR may never get merged - but I’m reasonably confident it will be accepted. When - no idea.

Not sure how you would use a 3-pos switch. The way this is implemented it requires its own channel.

ok, understand
but if it’s not possible to mix it in AP why not setup a 3-pos switch going to 2 channels? Then each funktion would need it’s own trigger point, eg. 1500 to arm and 1800 for airmode. Just a idea because I have more channels available than switches :wink:

1 Like

that look good and well done for sticking with it

Following this interesting discussion and I am still a bit confused.
Expecially the @Leonardthall explanation of the ATC_THR_MIX_MAN parameter:

Lower value:

• Bouncing on touch down
  • Aggressive control inputs can cause pulses in thrust

Shouldn’t it be the opposite?

Furthermore, if I want to increase the stability in an automated mode, like LOITER, should I increase ATC_THR_MIX_MAX parameter a bit?

I had a situation where I disturbed my loitering copter by pushing up with my hand an arm. When I removed my hand, the quad started to wooble towards the ground and “crashed”.
I guess increasing ATC_THR_MIX_MAX should solve this matter, right?

1 Like

Higher value causes bouncing on touchdown.

2 Likes

I did some experiments with the code. Basically patching it like @andyp1per “airmode PR” is always active.
Like this pushing the ATC_THR_MIX_MAN to 3 and my 450mm if able to keep the attitude even when I let it fall in STABILIZE. Still I don’t get why I need to run such a high value.

Now I am wondering why ATC_THR_MIX_MIN is hard limited to 0.25 since it would be better during descends in automatic mode to have more attitude control trying to avoid “woobling” when descending into the copter air wash.

1 Like

Not quite sure whether you are saying there is a problem with the PR or a problem in general? I was noticing some issues yesterday with not being able to switch it off.

1 Like

I’ve just taken your PR as base for my local patching, AKA always keep MAN mixer setting active at every throttle level when manual throttle is used.

Other then than, they are general considerations / discussion I would like to deep into

1 Like