Airmar SS510 Configuration

Hi, I’ve searched some information about this specific sensor on the forums but haven’t found an specific topic for it.
I’ve been working with it for about 5 months now, following the wiring diagram similar to the ECT400 (thanks a lot for the guide!) and it works nice connected to pixhawk using an RS485 converter.

What I’ve been struggling with has been all of the configurations parameters the transducer offers. I’m by no means and hydrographer or anything related and have made myself some basic questions, first of all:

1. How do I know the measured distance from the sensor is accurate enough?
    I’ve just compared it using the simple “lead and line” method in some 6-12m deep water and the results were good. For this experiment I’ve used the standard sound of speed through water (SOSTW) @ 1500m/s , but this develops further questions like:

2. When do I have to change the SOSTW?

3. Can I trust a simple SOSTW chart based on temperature?

4. When do I have to adjust the RANGE option?
    range

5.Should I use some sort of filtering while measuring or not?
6. Do I have to compensate the readings from the sensor with those from the IMU or are they neglectable?

at the beginning I’ve found really difficult to set the parameters using just the COM port, but then I’ve found YAT which allows you to send predefined messages through the serial port and makes things easier.

Any advice will be highly appreciated!

Hi @f_quint I see that I can connect with the rs485 the ss10, could you tell me how your diagram was, because I can’t make it work.

Hi, take a look at my diagram below, (the buzzer like thing are NMEA A+ Out and NMEA B- Out) coming from the echosounder. Everything connected to a Max485 breakout board.
diagram

Hope you find it useful!

I have a program for changing the settings in the SS510 instead of a terminal (works on win 7).
I use the 422 output converted to 232.
as for f_quint’s questions:

1. bar check is the best option, lower a reflective plate to a known depth below transducer and check that the reading is the same (or close).
  2. I never change the sound velocity in the transducer, post processing software corrects for that with a given SV profile.
  3. best option is a Sound Velocity Profiler (SVP) that uses time-of-flight. but really, i depends on your accuracy needs and the waters characteristics (depth, temp change, salinity change, etc.).
  4. best to change the RANGEDEFAULT in case of power outage, you can use auto but then there might inconsistencies when it changes range (i think the resolution is different in each mode).
  5. I like to collect as much data as possible and filter in post, ping rate depends on depth.
  6. Again, depends on the accuracy you want to achieve, i compensate at post if i have the data but it’s optional.