Aggressive flight and Crash: Alt hold mode

Our drone crashed very badly. We had previously flown the drone in a test stand to make sure the drone doesn’t act up during the actual flight. We had not calibrated the drone after using it in the test stand. This could have been the reason the drone crashed but we are not sure. The error messages we got were multiple lane switch errors before the crash. From the logs, I can see the GYRx GYRy and GYRz are oscillating in a range higher than when we had previously seen with good flight.

I have posted the links for the parameters and logs below. Please help us understand what may have caused the crash. It will be highly appreciated.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pAkfzaJGEVAhAjJ1hqC0UPhELtGGAhaJ/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1exccmS8vkllpvZsF4CK38A8MGUIBw1M9/view?usp=sharing

Bad plan. Not much useful info to see in the log. Set the Rate Roll/Pitch P&I values back to default and then use Mission Planners Initial Parameter Setup in Mandatory hardware to set the pre-flight parameters. And set these:
INS_ACCEL_FILTER,10
INS_LOG_BAT_MASK,1
INS_LOG_BAT_OPT,4
Better set this back to something reasonable also as it learned a very high value probably on your test stand:
MOT_THST_HOVER,0.614736 (set to .35)

Make a short flight in Althold. If there is noticeable vibration then cut the Rate Pitch/Roll PID’s in half (not increase them like you did) and try again. Review the Rc outputs in the log for oscillation.

1 Like

Thank you for the insight! We plan to recalibrate the accelerometer and the compass next time we fly it and revert some parameters back to default.
We have never touched these parameters you mentioned. I am guessing they auto-changed.
I will let you know how it goes. Thanks a lot!

Calibration is the 1st step but the Initial Tune Parameters must be set before the 1st flight. After oscillation free flight is established then the Dynamic Notch Filter should be configured. Then run Auto Tune. Default for the Rate Pitch/Roll P&I parameters is .135 Your D-terms are at default.

1 Like