ADS-B ---- Live traffic displays on MP intermittently

Hey Patrick Happy New Year to you
I found most of the stuff on Amazon so will order it in the coming weeks and get one built.
There is lot on my to do list lol.

Cheers man take care.

My antenna arrived yesterday and Fedex tells me the Pi should be here today. So we can extend that corridor out west. We won’t have full coverage all the way, but if I remember the last time I did the drive there wasn’t much between Calgary and Toronto. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey guys I don’t understand this stuff very well but when I was on the Flightaware site today I discovered there is a guy in the same town as me running a rig and feeding data.

Is there a way to leverage his data.

Yes and no. Yes, you could probably use his data but you’d have to find out who it is and ask him to share his IP address with you.

I’ll report back on how hard this is to set up. Doesn’t look like it’s too difficult. And (so far) the cost of the hardware has been under $150CAD.

I now have PiAware running and all set up. I can log in to my local IP address and I can see all the ADS-B and MLAT traffic. As the website says, it’s pretty quick and easy to get running. So now on to Mission Planner.

I’ve been able to use my local IP and port 30003 to get the ADS-B traffic of Dump1090 to report to Mission Planner. Partial victory.

What I can’t seem to get going is the PiAware data on Mission Planner. I would like to be able to access this away from my home network. I want the PiAware data because it has the MLAT information and there are still lots of Mode C/S transponders in use in Canada. Particularly with the light VFR traffic that often occupy the same airspace as our RPAS. I’m guessing this is a port issue, but I don’t even know where to look.

@yak-54 Colin, how did you get the IP address that you were able to share with us here? And do you know how to find the correct port to connect it to Mission Planner?

Thanks!

that’s easy as long as you have fixed IP address from your ISP if not its going to change every so many hours

need to setup your internet router
check that port forwarding raw data that be port 30003 is passed on
so that any request on that port is pasted on through the fire wall to your ADS-B

Thanks! Port Forwarding did part of the trick. I was able to get Port 30003 to forward so it worked with Mission Planner over my mobile phone’s hotspot. I was also able to forward the PiAware data view site to see that.

The down side is that this doesn’t forward the PiAware MLAT data. I can get the ADS-B information to Mission Planner, but not the MLAT.

Thanks for the help!

For MLAT to work, an aircraft needs to be within line of sight of four PiAware ground stations. To improve MLAT coverage in your area, you need to recruit friends to setup PiAware so your receivers can work together to track flights!

whats your server ip

I’m seeing MLAT when I look at the PiAware viewer (local:8080) but forwarding 30003 only sends the Dump1090 data and that doesn’t include the MLAT flights. Of course there’s nothing right now when I go to take a screen shot :man_facepalming:

Update: Some MLAT traffic. A Canadian registered helicopter, but for some reason it’s showing up with an American flag in the list. Anyhow, it doesn’t show up on Mission Planner. The other ADS-B traffic does show.

Hi Colin,

Thank you for your guidance on the IP Address and server port shared above for Melbourne area and on entering the same on mission planner I’m was able to fetch the ADSB data of Melbourne.
Also, can you please help me with the IP Address and server port, if I want to fetch the ADSB data around Bangalore, India.